Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What would make the Hardware Move?

preeseppreese Posts: 160
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have been told that there is a concern about the hardware moving after my L5-S1 PLIF. Since I have a rod with 2 screws holding in the cage that replaced my disc - what could make this move?

• When was your surgery? I had a similar surgery on November 22. I have two rods and four screws. My surgeon mentioned at my last post op appt that if I don't have bone growing my six months, I might need to have my screws tightened.

Take Care,
  • And it was a comment that the Physical Therapist made about talking to the Doctor about moving up my x-rays to make sure everything was in place that has me wondering. I was scheduled to have xrays at the end of the month when I have post op appt. with the NS. This has me wondering how anything could move as I haven't fallen or anything. I only have one rod and 2 screws and the NS told my husband that he wasn't able to get one into the opposite side.
  • I have had two post op appointments so far with xrays and he did say everything was where it should be. I didn't take it as my surgeon though my hardware moved but just a reassurace that it was all where it should be. BUT I guess it could move and that is one reason they take the xrays. Interesting. An orthopeadist did my surgery as my disc' were bone on bone and I didn't have any nerve pain.

• Because I have had a few occasions where I know I did too much - one was vacuuming - doing laundry - sweeping snow off the sidewalk - where I have had increased pain afterward. I am now over 4 weeks post PLIF and it is only now that I actually feel pain at the incision area, like when I lean back in a chair or try to sleep on my back, so I am not sure if it was just numb earlier or if I did do something to it.

I don't consider any of these things to be "strenuous activity" but maybe I am wrong.
  • You are not suppose to vacuum or sweep! Just for your info. Vacuuming is one of the worst for at least a year, so please quit! We have too much at stake! I moved wrong, and now have some pain up high, and am takin it easy. Will know if I did anything on the 27th when I go to surgeon. Love your surgery twin, Robin
  • I never heard anything about not vacuuming or sweeping - just don't bend or twist or lift and I have been great with those for the most part. Hopefully I just have sore muscles and nerves - it doesn't really feel like the pain is in my spine so I will take it as good news until my appointment which has now been changed to the 26th. I can't unring the bell but I shall not ring it again!
  • REST - that is what I am doing now!
  • I am resting. Have a couple sore spots, not so much pain. I moved wrong yesterday, and think I just made something mad. It will be ok, and I went down on pain meds only taking oxycodone every 6 hours if I can . and sometimes only taking 1 instead of 2. Working towards no pain meds. Want to celebrate the 1st anniversary of my 50 th birthday April 30. Havnt had wine or anything for 5 years. Ready to have something to celebrate!!!
  • Look at the Xray Photo I posted, my cage moved also.

Left side moved forward and right side moved back and is pinching nerves.

I received no fixation. In my Xray you can clearly see the plastic spacer they dropped in, the metal pins do not even contact the vertebrae.

I suggest you get yout Xrays and look for the same. This cage implant is trash.

We were supposed to be fixated.
  • I have the cage but also ped screws and a plate. I am sorry your surgery hasnt worked out, but I hope that you can find a surgeon that can fix it for you.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Recovery is key in having the hardware take hold. That means not straining the low back in any way. If it hurt before surgery, don't do it now. Anything you do that uses back muscles affects recovery and can affect hardware. So resting is key. I do find I can vacuum but I bought a good "power assist" vacuum.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I had my fusion back on Oct 20. 2010. My neourosurgeon advised me to do literarlly nothing for 3 weeks after my surgery. No bending, not even the slightest bend. I started physical therepy the 3rd week after my surgery. The back pain I had was the bone rubbing on bone and muscle pain. The bone rubbing on bone pain is gone, but I still have the muscle pain, I need to strenghten those muscles up....my glutes got shot during the 3 weeks that I did nothing. I go back for a check up in April to see if anything has "fused" yet. then I got for a 1 year check up. total recovery time i was told is 6 months to a year...
  • I am not a paitient person. But after suffering for 4 years, and my 2nd fusion, I am not going to do anything the will affect it now. I am doing better. I went to the Hospital two blocks away for walking today. Went for quite a walk. Didnt increase pain, which in my book is positive. I have went down on pain meds, both IR and Patch. Life is looking good! Not gonna screw it up now!
  • now due to the increased pain I am feeling in my leg and my skin is hot to the touch near one of my incisions. I am presuming (and hoping) that I have only inflamed something by doing too much, so I am icing and resting and anxiously awaiting my PT appt on Tuesday to see what is going on as this did come on not only after I vacuumed, but also after they added some new exercises and lengthened the amount I could walk on the track at therapy last week.

Robin, I am so happy to hear you are doing good! Hopefully I am just in a setback and will join you again soon!

Of course if anyone has any other suggestions for me I would love to hear them!

• Take it easy and let them know that you started having problems after therapy. They may have to take it down a notch. I had to after therapy before. You dont want to piss stuff off ;)
    Take care and just think of it as one step back, and it will soon pass....Your surgery twin...