Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

fears about back surgery can any one help me

robborrobbo Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone
I have a damaged lower discs in my back and very severe sciatica, i have suffered with it for the past 7 yrs and now, it is totally unbareable. It has totally taken over my life, cant sit,walk sleep the pain is agonising. Numbness, burning constant pulling sensation in bum down leg, calf and ankle.Have tried all forms of medication and treatments with no help. Im down for a disc removal by keyhole surgery in March which i am really praying will help me, iv been told that the op will not fix my back but will relieve the nerve pressure which is causing the pain in the left leg. Can anyone, who has had this op be able to tell me, what the op is like, i appreciate that all ops are un pleasant but just how painful and what should i expect as im terrified of the op but need it done quick as im at wits end and cant carry on anymore like this.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Jeauxbert or haglandc or Administrators tamtam, dave or DiLauro
    In addition, you can always contact any one of the members of the Authority team Neck of Steel or Cath111

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

lease feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message

What has your surgeon been telling you about the expected outcome of the surgery?
    Keyhole surgery is basically a different name for laparoscopic or minimally invasive surgery. There are many patients who get excellent results from these type of surgeries.

Start browsing around this site and you will find a lot of details. One to start with is Successful Back Surgery

Always keep in mind, that there will be patients that did not get any positive results from this or any other type of spinal surgery and there are many that become pain free.

Having surgery of any kind is a big decision. The best way to head into one is to become as knowledgeable as possible about the surgery. This way you know how its done, what the expected results should be and what kind of recovery period would you be looking at.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

I just wanted to echo what Ron said, that many have had successful surgeries with the type you're having.

But I also wanted to say to please not measure how successful surgery is by what you read throughout these forums. The members that have had successful surgeries many times move on from this site and go about living their lives normally, having no more issues or problems. They don't come back because they no longer need the support that is given here. So again, don't measure the success of surgery by what you read on the forums.

Be sure to adhere to your doctor's restrictions post-op and don't do too much when you're having a good day early on in recovery. Also be sure to keep up with your meds the first few weeks to stay ahead of the pain because once it gets ahead of you, it's hard to get back under control. Recovery takes time, but be patient and you'll find yourself getting better with time. Walking is a great activity post-op to help healing, starting with short trips and increasing it as you can.

I'm glad you're taking positive action to get your problem taken care of. Good luck on your surgery and my wish is that you find much pain relief and get back to living an active life again.

• Thank you very much for your advise