Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disability Accepted!

babyruthbbabyruth Posts: 260
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I am very happy, and of course grateful that my application for Long-Term Disability has been accepted through work insurance! At some point I would imagine I will be asked to apply for Canada/Federal Disability. It has been a long, extremely stressful haul and I am glad things worked out for me. I can keep my house! I can keep my house ... geez that sounds so nice .... It was a brutal birthday and Christmas for me without income for so long, and I can now return calls to creditors who have been calling me. Again, I am so happy and grateful. I wanted to share this with you as I have talked about this in the chat forum with a number of you the last while. My advice to some of you is to never give up, to just hang in. We cannot predict the future so it is fruitless to worry about it. I know this is much easier to say than do, but if I made any mistake along the way, it was to worry, worry, worry when in fact it worked out for me in the long run. Good luck to you whom are in the disability filing process. I truly hope things work out for you. It is difficult enough dealing with chronic pain and associated physical limitations; having to add the stresses of the disability process on top of that is uber stressful, not to mention painful. I hope only the best for you.

• That is terrific Ruth!! I'm so happy that everything worked out for you! Now you can relax, and enjoy life as much as you can!! Congrats!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Wonderful news! I am so happy for you :D
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Isn't that a wonderful feeling when that "approved" letter arrives? Congratulations to you woman!! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    GREAT to hear this. I am so happy for you!
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Congratulations.
    It is nice when you have one finanicial burden lifted.
    Happy for ya.
  • I just got accepted with CPP and my work pension so will get the same amount from LTD and they get paid the pensions so it's the same income. Good to hear you can keep your house! Stress about income can rally bring the pain levels up. Glad for you..
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • thanks everyone. i appreciate your kind words :)))
  • Ruth,
    Well done you, it is a very emotional transition acknowledging our changed status from the imposition of mandated disability. It does necessitate some acceptance of how the pain has impacted of our lives however resistant we are to accept what is happening around us, and those around us, my own status changed 20 years ago and based on the reality of my daily limitations, however resistant I am acknowledging reality is helpful as it enables us to move forward

Eligibility is also recognition of our underlying condition and plight, however hard we try to disguise it to the outside world that relief is tangible. Seeing all those aspects we worked so hard for evaporate before us is not easy and the stress of feeling responsible when our options and capacity are limited, it is emotionally draining and stressful over time.

Not worrying is easier to say than do, show me anyone who would not worry when the threat of financial implications or our house at risk. I had three young children and a house, good job and active lifestyle prior to my accident, that imposed changed is never easy for anyone.

I am pleased for your success, you have worked hard to keep going and dry those eyes where necessary, these are not easy issues to divulge or discuss and we all feel isolated at times. On reflection it is a measure of how strong you have been and the courage needed to keep up beat most of the time.

Take care.