Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF / ACDR

Fabster75FFabster75 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:49 AM in New Member Introductions
I would like to start off by saying how appreciative I am for everyone that has posted to the numerous threads here. I have found a wealth of information here over the past weeks after realizing my own "possible" need for surgery.
With that being said I am a 26 yro male, non-smoker, in very good health. I am currently employed in the Army National Guard and have deployed as a infantryman with the 10th Mountain Div. Currently I am in NC attending the John F Kennedy Special Warfare School at Ft. Bragg. An MRI indicated that I have a herniated disc in C5-C6 (shocker, I know) that is large enough to impinge the spinal cord a great deal. I also am showing signs of kyphosis in my cervical spine as a result. I have talked to 3 different surgeons, 1 being military here at Womack Army medical center, and all have been very surprised at my ease of mobility considering the size of the disc herniation.

Here's my conundrum: After approx 2 1/2 months I have almost no pain or pain/tingling radiating down my right arm and into my thumb like I did about 1.5 months ago. My pain at the beginning was debilitating, no sleep, no comfort, many on here can relate I am sure. However, that pain is gone. I do still feel it when I run and do pull ups so I avoid those activities, which are necessary here. I have currently been put on Medical hold to avoid future training and all the surgeons I have talked to are freaking out by how much of my spinal cord is compressed and recommending ACDF / ACDR. I am leaning away from cervical replacement mostly because it is still a new technology and there isn't an artificial joint in existence that lasts a human lifespan...I think.

I guess my concern is if there is a possibility that my disc will return to normal on its own, for obvious reasons I want to avoid surgery but want to return to my high activity level even more. My almost complete lack of pain, unless running etc, is causing me to think I should run from the knife. Will this get worse if untreated?

Sorry for the long post as usual any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
advertisement

Comments

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you are very wise to be doing all you can to avoid surgery and it sounds as if you are healing alot on your own.. this does happpen.. as long as you are being followed by your doctors, let them give you the guidance on the need for surgery.. use your judgement and go from there.. no one can predict what the body is going to do, we are all different.. good luck to you.. stop by anytime! and thank you for your service to our country!! Jenny :)