Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I Hate feeling Like This ! Ideas, Tips Wanted Please.

MsHumptyDumptyMMsHumptyDumpty Posts: 1,567
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Depression and Coping
My double knee replacement is not until March 15th. I was told due to the way my knees are if I fall I will most probably break at least 1 and maybe both hips. So I am VERY limited in getting out and about any more :(

Even with my back injury I was able to work a few hours a week ( only because the boss is me lol ) and I went somewhere every day. Some days it was just to the 1.00 store lol just to get out for a bit.

Now due to the snow and ice here in Pa. I can't even take my dog outside to go potty.

Someone takes me to the grocery store once a week and that is pretty much it.

I am finding myself going to bed at 10PM or earlier and watching TV or reading then sleeping in until noon :jawdrop:
Even with my back injury I never was idle. I watched maybe 2 hrs of TV a week. I kept myself really busy.

Then the few hrs I am up I fiddle around online or do some easy chores around here.

I don't cook meals hardly ever or do most of the normal things I did before I was "grounded".

I know I am headed for depression soon.

There are SO many things/projects/crafts I could be doing, but I can't seem to find the Mojo to get going and doing them. I have a lot of things that I always said I would do if I had the off time. Now I just sit and stare at nothing.

I am rather embarrassed to admit all this - But I just can't seem to pull it together myself

Any ideas, tips on how to get out of this slump are greatly appreciated.

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.

• Howdy Ms. Humpty,

One thing you can put in the front of your mind now is this..."Temporary!" You have surgery scheduled, you know that more likely than not your knees will be restored enough that you can reclaim part of your life back finally. Use this idle time as a time to rest and think of what things your going to do once you're all healed up. Be kind to yourself now, and try not to do anymore damage, and the March 15th date will be here in no time.

So I guess Ms "Grounded", this will get better, you do have a game plan. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    is something that can worry anyone. Sure, based on your knee situation, you might be more prone to a fall or because of the knees, perhaps your hips will take more of the blow. Who really knows?

The way I look at things like this, is you have three basic choices:

1 - Bottle yourself up in a bubble. Don't do anything that could potentially cause a fall.

2 - Totally ignore the warnings and continue the way you have in the past.

3 - Be aware of the warning, keep it in mind when you are engaged in any activity.

Choice #1 = You've given up
    Choice #2 = You wont face the facts
    Choice #3 = You are realistic

Be realistic and be positive. As Brenda put it, look at this as a temporary situation. Muster up whatever physical and emotional strength you need to get you to your surgery date.

You have been able to do this with your post lumbar surgery, you had risks then, so just use that same strength to get you past this one.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Mrs I'm with you on the depression. I've been off work for almost 7 months now. The summer and fall weren't bad. Between doctors appointments I was able to keep busy with little projects in the garden and it was just plain nice.

Now that I'm bottled up in the house I'm going crazy. For me the depression becomes doing nothing. I have to fight myself to do even some minor cleaning. Today I refolded the towels in the linen closet and that was draining.

What I find helps is making lists of doable things. I make sure each is something that I can complete by myself and in a very short period of time. Then I cross them off and feel better. If you like crafts and can't get to the store order online. My daughter is making scarfs for a school project so I help her out when she needs it. I can't do more than 5-10 mins at a time but it feels so good!!

If all else fails talk to your doctor. And don't wait too long. Lots of people need help for depression or anxiety before and after surgery. Getting it early is the most important thing.
  • Hi Ms Humpty
    I have passed some time learning to knit. Mabe you could try something like that. March will be here before you know it. Hang in there.
  • I know what you mean. I had my last PLIF Dec of 2008. Swore I would never have another back surgery in the winter. Well, guess what, you sometimes dont have a choice. So Now I am bored as well. My Dr wont let me drive yet, so I am housebound. I dont like to ask people to drive me.
    I had my Mom here for 2 weeks after surgery. I just called her the other day to see if she would come back and teach me how to knit. I think I am off enough pain meds now, to be able to learn. It is something I can do laying down. That and TV and laptop computer is my enjoyment. TV is getting really old. So I think knitting or crocheting would be something you could do. And as cold as it is, you could keep the family warm too!
    Hope this helps! Good Luck. In March you wont have nearly as much winter left, which is a bonus for you. Love ya, Robin
  • I think the winter is getting to a lot of us. I am trying to pull myself together and get back to doing the things I enjoy, like scrapbooking.
    C'mon guys!!! We can't let things get us down!!!
  • You all have given me great tips, advice and ideas and I am grateful :)

I guess the real issue comes down to me making a CHOICE and then DOING them, instead of allowing these depressed feelings to control me.

I have many many things I can do here at home. Things I have always been saying "if I ever some time off I will do xyz". Well now I have my time off and I am NOT liking it :(

It is time for me to develop a new frame of mind.

These next 2 months will pass and I can either do something productive during them or sit and be depressed and look back wishing I had done xyz.

My Thanks :D

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I too hate being cooped up indoors, and have a list of things I would do if I had the time. I had plenty of it after my surgery and didn't do anything on my list!

Give yourself a goal to accomplish each day, something small but doable. You will feel a sense of accomplishment and still keep within your restrictions. the time will fly by faster than you know. Maybe get a series of books you have been meaning to read and start from the beginning and work your way to the end.

I wish you all the best :)

• I can totally relate. I had a TLIF on L3-4 (also have DD and spinal stynosis in lower spine, though the recovery is going good, I was told at my 8 week check up that I was doing too much as for the household chores etc. That made the time go by real fast. Fast-forward to almost 16 wks. I have slowed way down and I feel like the recovery will never get here. It probably doesn't help that in the south we have had alot of snow and ice. Been cooped up for a week. So that keeps me in the house more for fear of falling on the ice.

I find that when depression looms I try to get busy and whether is it reading a book, doing crafts, it helps. I also find my animals help keep me entertained. Hearing the nicker from my horse at feeding time keeps me going as I know I will be better soon with the back issues and I will get to do more with him.

My husband keeps telling me it will get better just going to take time. I just have to keep remembering that. I am so glad this board is here and know other people share the same experiences as I.