Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

tears of joy-

MackenzieMMackenzie Posts: 76
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
One year ago today I got my permanent stim and I remain grateful to my pm doc and medical science for the technology. To quote Dave: "It'll be a cold day in hell before anyone takes this away from me."

In the last 12 months, I have flown to places far and wide on my own, gotten to second base with numerous TSA agents while getting patted down instead of going through the metal detector, fried a DroidX cell phone by keeping it in my hip pocket against my battery (oops), deployed to Haiti to help after the quake, and had more good days than bad.

My young son was playing one day with a lego in his back pocket, and when I asked him what it was for, he said he had "energetics in his body to kill bad guys." When I asked him what momma getting a stim meant for him, he said "we get to go on walks and do all the good things."

I still require pain meds, but now can more objectively tell when they are working. I still have to come home from work and get flat some days, and making social plans is still a little like playing roulette. But overall, I am happy not to have the sizzling, burning ropes of pain in my lower back, hips, and thighs.

I propose a toast to all my stim friends and potential stim friends. May this space age medicine help you get through one more day!

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I have a St.Jude ANS unit for lumbar. And they just don't work that well on lumbar. I couldn't count the amount of times I've this thing re programed and tweaked. It' a little bit better than nothing at all. But not that great. And it seems the people who have a Medtronic have better results, for the lumbar.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I love to hear about successful procedures. I'm so glad to read that you are doing so well, even with the limitations. Good for you!
  • That is a great story. Glad to hear you are getting back into the swing of things. It took me 2.5 years post implant, but I have finally been able to go back to working, which is such a blast and quite a testament to what a spinal cord stimulator can do for a person.

• Cheers! Glad I was able to provide the quote for the day. I told my PM doctor the same thing last friday.

• I didn't even realize it has just been 2 years for me!! I'm not working with my numb feet and all, but like you, it has been a wonderful addition to my life.

So glad for the update!

• Happy Stimiversary, Mackenzie :-)

• This is so encouraging to read. I'm waiting for my trail next month. I can't wait to write a success story :)
  • Hi Mac,
    "Happy Stimiversity", I love it.
    This gal is has a consultation for permanent thoracic and lumbar SCS in 2 days. If I am not a candidate for the thoracic I will going ahead with the lumbar.
    Happiest of continued journeys Mac!
  • I do not have an SCS but I do have a pain pump.
    I must agree with you on these wonderful implants that make our life worth living.

Yesterday after an increase in the meds in my pump the last of my pain just dropped away!! I too am shedding tears of joy.

I do not care what it takes to free us of our pain...be it the SCS or the pain pump....they both are wonderful things!!
    Rock on Mack!!
    Patsy W
  • so good to hear such fantastic news. This June will be my 2nd yr w/my SCS I have an Advanced Bionics system. It was a great choice for me as it offers 4 different programs. (my sleep, sit, walk, and low back) I was able to change to a very low dose pain patch. I do still need as needed meds and can't work.

If I hadn't gotten it though I still would not be able to sit through dinner, lay somewhat "normal" in bed & I can travel a bit. I can go through security 50% of the time w/out beepin ;) no wands from them though
    If I do beep I show them my card then I too have a TSA pat down...

I am so grateful for it. Good luck to those upcoming trials and implants...at first as the swelling goes down I needed frequent reprogramming then a few tweaks....

congrats again !!!!!