Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

revision worse than first. listen to your dr

salty444ssalty444 Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone. As good as I felt in recovery on tuesday I am having a rough couple days here. I had a second discectomy l5/s1. Listen to your dr trust me. You don't want to go thru this twice in less than a year.

Id love to know why it hurts worse this time. Is it because the scar tissue was there?

• Sorry you're feeling worse, but I'm not surprised. It seems to get worse before it gets better sometimes, well a lot of times.

Were both surgeries the same exact surgeries? Or was one minimally invasive where the other wasn't?

Hang in there - it will get better.

• Both were same. That whole minimal invasive phrase is a gimmick to me. What's worse a 4 inch cut or a 4cm cut stretched to 4 inches
  • I had a failed discectomy and the following MRI showed metal shavings left in my spine.

There's no Federal Law requiring the doctor you talked to from being present for your surgery. Trainee's can operate under his name and do all the procedures. some State laws require the surgeon be present in the same building. But you were put under, how would you know.

Well there's why my discectomy failed. Hopefully yours wasn't as bad.
  • Rod,

very interesting you bring that up. This exact thought has been running through my head. I'm actually wondering if he left his nurse in charge to do the procedure. Before they totally knocked me out (while I was getting my spinal)...... I asked where Dr. C#@N4Y was........ he was not in the room. They joked that he was eating breakfast.

Do you know if in NY the Surgeon must be the one performing the actual procedure? I will be asking on Wednesday during my follow up.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    First of all, no 'trainee' is allowed to perform any surgical procedure. Depending on the Hospital policies, Interns/Residents may be able to assist in the actual procedure. Some 3rd year residents may be able to go solo, but that depends on the actual surgery, the hospital policies and any state requirements.

Almost any larger accredited hospital would not allow someone to perform surgery if they are not properly trained and supervised.

Whenever I have had surgery, I spoke with the surgeon in detail to verify if he or perhaps one of his assistants would do the actual surgery. I also asked who would be on the surgical team and what their responsibilities would be.
    I also talked to the Nursing staff and the Administrated departments to understand their policies and regulations.

With my 9 plus surgeries, my primary surgeon (Neurosurgeon or Orthopedic) were the ones doing the surgery. I did know in advance that a Physical Assistant and first year resident would be in the room assisting (mostly in the closing/finishing part)

So, you should always ease your mind before the actual surgery to know the exact person and team who is going to be performing everything.

Surgery itself is enough to worry us, we dont need to worry about who is going to perform it and how qualified are they.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Ron you make some good points. But the reality is that very few people will ask these questions. Plus if you ask in their office you may not get the right answer as things change and if you wait until you are getting prepped who is going to cancel at that point?

My surgical report states that my surgeon and another surgeon worked together. Before I was put out in the OR I saw my doctor suited up for surgery so I was pretty confident that he was there. If I hadn't seen him would I have walked out??

Sure any reputable hospital/doctor is going to perform the surgery. But there is alot of leeway in the rules and there are many professionals involved in the event. I think you need to have confidence in your surgeon. Every time I have had surgery I was confortable putting my life in that surgeons hands.
  • the Dr I go to now is the ONLY surgeon I will allow to work on me. He and his nurse (Dan) are top notch and very professional/caring. I have never met a more down to earth doctor and nurse. If anyone wants to know who did my work please PM me. It takes a while just for the initial consult with him but it is definitely worth it. He is in very high demand.
  • The only way I found out a trainee did my Discectomy is from my military medical records.

The Spine Center sent a letter to Tricare requesting to do the procedure and on the paper it says a "P.A.C. will be used"

I had to research what a P.A.C. is.

Trainee. The surgeon told me HE was going to be doing the procedure. Apparently...he lied. That's when I researched it and found there is NO Federal or State law requiring a surgeon to even be present during the procedure. My State law only said he had to be in the same building.

I pondered suing because they left metal in my spine...but I was so disgusted I just couldn't deal with it mentally.