Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

facial injuries post spinal stenosis questions- experienced patients please reply

puravidappuravida Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:49 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hi,
My dad is on his first day post op of his spinal stenosis surgery. He has swelling in both eyes and skin missing from his nose. He thinks they may have dropped him.

The surgery was longer than expected by 2 hours. The doctor said this was the case because my dad had a really thick bone that took a long time to chip away. The doctor said they had to put in an extra cross bar where they removed that bone.

My dad thinks they dropped him post op and had to reopen him to fix damage caused by being dropped and thats why the surgery took longer and thats why he has facial injuries.

So, my question is did anybody who had this surgery receive any facial injuries? If you were dropped post op, do you think it could damage the screws or force a doctor to install a cross bar?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Bob

advertisement

Comments

• are placed face down in a special pillow for the surgery. The OR tables are slightly tilted down, so the face is very dependent for that prolonged period, which can cause significant swelling. If the skin on the face is fragile to begin with, it sometimes seems like tissue paper and that top layer can come off. It doesn't happen often, but it certainly can.

I've seen patients heads look like bowling balls after being on their stomachs for many hours.

Sorry that it happened, but it should heal on its own. If you still have concerns, do discuss it with his doctor.

Take care,

SG