Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help! Please

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone, my name is Richard(23yr old male) and I've been suffering from debilitating low back pain and sciatica for a long while and can't seem to get rid of it. I've had double back surgeries in an effort to take it away, but I just can't seem to get past it. I went to a couple of surgeons, both of which thought I should have a fusion surgery, which scared me badly. So I got another opinion from what I consider the best surgeon at the UK Hospital. He told me that 90% of men didn't need a fusion, that I had a major problem and he thought I should undergo a minimally invasive microdiscectomy, in which I did. After the surgery I had a few complications,but after a week I felt better. On the negative end, 2 weeks later I had an onset of severe pain shooting down my leg and felt as if my foot were going to explode. I got an emergency appointment and the MRI showed a reherniation. He told me we could do a revision and that it would be just as favorable as the last, but the chance of reherniation would be greater. When he got in there he noticed that the vertebra had settled down and smushed the disc out onto the nerves again and that some type of bones were also on my nerves, so he did a laminectomy and discectomy. I was in the hospital for one day and have been in constant pain since. My low back pain has gotten worse and so has my leg pain. I had a follow up with his PA and he thinks my pain is coming from the trauma that happened during surgery. He said the Doctor told him that there wasn't much disc left in there and that I may be having disc pain, but hopefully it was just inflammation type pain and not a reherniation. He says if the pain isn't gone by next appointment we would talk about a fusion surgery. At this point I am willing to go through with the extensive surgery because from my standpoint the benefits outweigh the risks. If anyone has any advice on this matter, or has had these same symptoms after these surgeries I would greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you all!

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are suffering with severe pain.. it sounds as if surgery may be your last option, and one you may have to deal with soon. be sure and check out the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more information. i do hope you are able to avoid this and wish you well. good luck! stop by anytime! Jenny :)
  • Although this site does not dispense medical advice, you might be more specific about time of onset and how long between onset and your first surgery, then the second. Was there any injury or history of spinal overload? How bad is the pain you are experiencing. Timing is everything and the longer you can safely wait (determined by you and your doctor) the better the chance you could avoid a reoperation!
  • The severe onset of pain happened at work while lifting very heavy material into my work truck. The date of the onset was 5-14-10 and my first surgery was 11-15-10. My surgeon doesn't want to rush into a fusion because of how young I am, but I'm going to have to before too long because my company doesn't have comp. So I've been SOL on a the financial end if you know what I mean for a while now. And I sure can't do the type of physical labor I did in this pain. Thank you for your concerns, if you have any advice I would appreciate it.
  • welcome to sh

i would encourage you to read up on your spinal probs,search box at top of page.

you are early in your recovery,so you need to give it time,rest and dont do any lifting, later some p/t.

i would also give some thought to your type of work as lifting heavy objects is not good for folks with spine probs

it time, rest and research, also, if further surgery is necessary, check out and discuss adr with your surgeon

good luck and welcome