Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

wouldn't you like to give them your pain

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Chronic Pain
For a couple of weeks? You make a call and your future income or your future medical care is being held hostage. And you call and get a machine: Press 1 if you want English 2 if you want something else. Then another question pres 1 for ya da, ya da 2for??? 3 for ??? 4 for ??? 5 for ??? then on to the next, and next, and next. And eventually the recording says hold for the next available Person. And after holding long enough for your ear to be sore. The recording says "please continue holing, we are experiencing a larger that normal call volume" so you hold till you get that message again. Then again and over and over and over till your tired of switching ears and are about to fall asleep. You look at your phone min. counter and find you've been holding for 38 min. Then finally you get a live person who is a real smart a$$ who hates you and her job. You explain and explain till you're pi$$ed. And she lets you know "I am the God of Hell fire" And if you raise your voice at me I will cut you off and you can start all over. You hurt, your frustrated and stressed. And try to be nice. And eventually when you've gotten nowhere. She Say's something like. We'll mail you a packet to have filled out in about 2 weeks. And hangs up on you...........again! Then after you get your packet and have it filled out,You get to call all over again! X(
Jim :O
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• Jim I've been dealing with that for 7 months now. I had three different policies to deal with. Each had their own form and requirements and of course the doctor charges $35 for each to be filled out. I swear he made more off those forms than billing for office visits.

The when the check doesn't come I find out that they requested paperwork from the doctor and received no answer so they closed my claim!! Umm anyone think to contact me??? Then I fax it and they changed the fax number. Fax it again and finally they straighten it out. Three months later!

So yes I do understand how you feel. Oh and my mom does too :)
  • While I can understand where you are coming from, I wouldn't willingly wish this on anyone.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,849
    you know how to put a situation so that everyone can relate to it.

I think many people have heard about road rage, I was beginning to think I was the only one that had phone rage. After going through the sequence that Jim described, when I got a real live person and they did exactly what Jim said, I wanted to jump through the phone and do ##$#!$%# (cant say it)

I spent years as a programmer and helping with customer service for Main Frame and Personal computers. These were the days before things were outsourced to different countries. When I managed some of those teams, I made it that is was so important that the person taking a call from a customer bent over backwards to help the person, try to understand their situation and at all times be polite.

I dont know WHEN, I dont know HOW, I dont know WHY, but this has all changed.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • dilauro said:

I dont know
    WHEN, I dont know HOW, I dont know WHY, but this has all changed.
    Because individual service based on your needs is too expensive to do. This new system is all about saving you money. They would have to further increase the costs of their service to do this.

The poor devil on the other end of the phone is not the one to blame or yell at. They are "piece workers". They are over-worked and under-staffed. They get paid purely on "call volume".

WHEN - At least 10 years ago the outsourcing started. Over the last 5 years it has gotten bad.

HOW - Outsource your call center to foreign countries where almost slave labor conditions are acceptable.

WHY - Why else? $$$,$$$,$$$.

It isn't just the medical field. In fact most issues I have with insurance are actually handled by a person in this country who speaks English.

Now computer support... forget it. We could barely understand the thick Indian accent and voice. What made it hilarious was when he said his name was "Tim" or "John". Much like that new commercial where the support center is in an old Russian splinter nation. The thick bearded guy answers the phone and says "Hello this is Peggy".... LOL

All of the support for appliances and commodity stuff is pretty much done anywhere but the US. We're too expensive and too slow.

To Jim's point though. We want to transfer our pain to the Executives who run these companies. A few weeks of being on their knees screaming in pain. Then let them call "Peggy" for help filing their claim so they can see a doctor or get meds. Now that would be nice.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I had forgot about "Peggy" =)) And "C". It's been along time, come on you remember. Maybe they could have the pain just durring the Phone converstion then they might want to help. ;))
    Ron, you nailed it again!
    Jim :D
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Today I received an insurance company DENIAL of my Surgeons bill for 51 THOUSAND dollars due to code *^%&$* which appears to be no pre-authorization if I am reading the fine print correctly. This really upset me and I was hunting around for all the paperwork that said the Surgeon's office would do the pre-authorization, etc until my husband reminded me that we don't have 51 grand to pay him so the doctor better figure out how to get it from our insurance especially since I can't do anything about it on Saturday anyhow.
  • I got you beat. I got one for the hospital alone. It was 125,000. Hope they figure it out! Or I am gonna be homeless. And yes, I had pre authorization too! LOL
  • j.howie said:
    And "C". It's been along time, come on you remember.
    Not quite certain I understand what you're saying here. Could you clarify for me please.

• For my TLIF, yes all pre-approved, the insurance company denied my surgeon's assistant, his PA. His cost was about $20,000. I talked to my surgeon's office because this scared the s--t outta me and they said it happens all the time and they'd take care of it, for me not to worry or do anthing.

Sure enough, a year later and everything is paid. Whew. So usually, your doc's office will handle this kind of hassle as they do it enough to know the ropes.

Try not to worry - if you have a good surgeon's office, it will be handled and you won't see anything but occasional paperwork that you need to file, but not do anything about.
  • I agree with Jim. Maybe if they could feel what you were feling, even if it just for the duration of the phone call, they would be more understanding and more willing to help.
    However, even if they did have to experience your pain for the length of the phone call they still would not be able to understand what it is like to live with this day after day.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Your injuries began in the 80's and 90's and continued all through the years up to now just like me. So somewhere along the line there had to be frustrating phone calls. X( ~X(
    You've been around as long or longer than me, and that's a LOOOOoooong time! :O
    Jim :D
  • i so know how it was the most frusterating job i had many yrs ago...worked for hmo....
    very very heavy phone volume....we were constantly timed on calls....
    was so so bad i got in trouble alot for long phone calls and i said go ahead fire me if you wish but no way i'm rushing a person off the phone and most of my callers were over age of 80..
    i do feel bad for alot of ppl if you get a person on the phones these days...cause alot of time it is not ther fault...but i do not put up with the rudeness of some...and have had plenty...
    i get alot of names and numbers before they transfer me..
    sure hope someone gets your stuff straightened out for you soon jim
    best luck to you
    hang in ther
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Actually it's the doctors I wish I could transfer my pain to for a couple minutes. Explaining pain isn't my stong suit but if they could just feel it, or ohhh my boss would be great. Not for weeks, or days, nothing so dramatic. Just a couple minutes would do it I think. The ones that try continually to force me off on medical leave. I haven't had the insurance calls, my doc takes care of them. They denied my $92,000 hospital bill even with pre-approval. Said it was experimental. Doc got on the phone and fixed them.
This discussion has been closed.