Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery or MORE injections?

ohmybackoohmyback Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Lower Back Pain
Back from the doc again today...I am starting to understand that if I want to get rid of my pain, I will have to 'bite the bullet' and have the double fusion. I had injections (for the 5th time in less than a year) on Dec 30 and had odd results. It took 10 days for them to kick in, and after 4 days pain free, I can feel the pain coming back already. Doctor gave me the option of yet another injection next week and immediate PT (2-3weeks worth) and if that doesn't work, to schedule the surgery. I sort of feel like these injections are just bandaids, and although I don't want to have surgery...I would like to get my life back sooner rather than later.

Am I just wasting my time with all these injection that provide minimal relief?

• Have you gotten other opinions? Sounds like you are ready to make a decision but you should be certain that what you have to choose from are the right choices.
  • Yeah he is my second opinion. I guess I know it's inevitable but it's hard to accept my fate.
  • I am so sorry that the injections are not helping you. I have had facet injections the past 2 Thursdays and will have the 8 again this Thursday. They knock me out for them and I am amazed how much they are helping me. I had a spinal fusion in 1998 which was successful and I have had fibro for 16 years, but this was new pain and I persisted till I got answers. I ended up with a new pain doctor and he is really helping me. I pray you can find the right answers for you and the best doctors, too.

sue in ohio
  • I'm definately not a doctor, but in my experience with low back pain, the ESI's didn't work for me, neither did PT or pain patches. I really hate to hear that you are having this awful pain. However, as the others are saying, be sure and trust your surgeon before you go through with surgery, for any back surgery is a big decision. Ask as many questions as you can. I have undergone 2 microdiscectomy surgeries with a laminectomy on the second and still having severe low back pain and leg pain, so I too am looking at a double fusion. I trust my surgeon greatly, so it's just something for you to decide for yourself. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you will get resolution soon.
This discussion has been closed.