Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

no bone growing yet.

lmhs1935llmhs1935 Posts: 75
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

At six weeks post op I had no bone growing at all from my spinal fusion. I don't know if that is normal or not. He already mentionied that if there wasn't any bone growing he might have to go in and "tighten" my screws. Hmmmmm I do worry a bit because my sister had had a similar fusion years ago and the fusion with her own bone didn't take. Should there be some bone growing at six weeks?

• I've been through 2 fusions. My last was Nov.2009. I did not show any bone growth until 8 months. My hardware looked "beautiful", Dr told me to just be patient and he was right. We all heal/recover at different rates.

Take care of yourself,

• At six weeks, it is still early to see any bone growth. Maybe at three months some new growth can be observed, maybe even later. It is a slow gradual process, at first the doctor mostly is looking if the hardware is in place. Just keep walking, and watch your movements and be patient. It takes time. Good luck and good recovery!

• Hi Lauren, I believe it is quite normal to not have any fusion started at only 6 weeks. I think sometimes they do see some fusion beginning, but are not at all concerned if it hasn't started yet.

I had an x-ray at 8 weeks to check the hardware was still in place and look for any signs of fusion. The hardware was fine, but no sign at all of fusion. The surgeon wasn't worried at all and told me to make the next appointment for the 12 month anniversary of the surgery. I was rather disappointed that I wouldn't know if things were fusing until then! I was reassured by my physiotherapist who said that as I was doing so well, he was pretty certain I would fuse well.

At 9 months, I had another x-ray ordered by my GP because I was feeling a 'slipping' feeling over my incision. That showed the hardware in place and ..... signs of fusion underway!! <:P

Apparently the slipping feeling is caused by loose ligaments that still need to tighten up, which could take up to 18 months. I think it must be at the level above my fusion.

Try to relax and do all you can to aid fusion (that is what I did/am doing) Walk regularly. My physiotherapist says that is the very best thing I can do to help healing and fusion. It increases blood and oxygen to the area which will help the healing of soft tissues, nerves and the bone to fuse. Then also eat well, drink plenty of water and follow all the restrictions that you have been given. If possible don't smoke or take anti-inflamatories (NSAIDs). Then you know that you have done everything that you can to help things along.

I hope that you will get those wonderful words 'fusion is underway' very soon. :-)