Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Okay..dancing not a good idea

angelanicaangelanic Posts: 256
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All,

Haven't been on since the holidays. On Jan 3 (two months post PLIF L4/L5/S1) I had to travel for two weeks for work. Flew from NY to CA and was ok. Actually was doing very well to the tune of not taking any meds at night (did seem to be my new normal) except my neurontin which I am taking for residual foot nerve pain and sciaticia (is this normal?). Then I flew from San Diego to Las Vegas and after two days in vegas was back to some nice sciacticia (despite the neurontin). I think it was the walking (the hotel conference centers are horrible). Then stupid me...had a little too much fun..dancing the night away and AHHHH. The next day was a nightmare. I ended up taking my pain meds that night and felt considerably better but the sciatica is not completely gone again like it was a few weeks ago;. My warning to you all is watch the dancing. LOL.

Anyone else have these setbacks? Too much too soon? Is the foot pain normal? I feel like it will never go away sicne it has been consistent since surgery. I also get numbness in my calf both of which I had prior to surgery.

• Same here.
    I took a girlfriend to a Country Western dance and holy hell was my lumbar spine mad at me at the end of the night and the next day.

A few years later I took another gal salsa dancing. Same deal. pain pain pain.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • I went for my 8 week check up for TLIF L3-4. I also have DDD in L3-4 L4-5 L5-6. amd spinal stenosys (sp). The PA told me that everything looked great though the fusion is going slower than they expected and are talking 6 months to a year to fuse. She said I was doing too much. Well I have slowed down a bit but am still active. I definetaly can tell when I have over done it too. (Usually everyday) I just take my Tramadol/Roboxin and when needed a Hydrocodone. I walk daily and do light household chores. I can't stand for a long time, drive or sit for long periods as the left side of my back, and hip area of the TLIF, the nerves are staring to "wake up" I have spasms that last all day. There seems to be no relief in sight. I hope for my next check-up I get the ok to live like a normal person.

Thanks for letting me vent!
  • I really appreciate the comments. I am right in line with you mini. I think I am doing too much. Today I just want to take meds..pain in my back. I also have sciatica if I stand for two long.

• I hope you start feeling better soon. I really miss dancing, the last time I went out was New Year's 2008. I don't blame you from wanting to have some fun dancing it's probable a little soon. Feel better. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Angela, I too have the sciatic if I stand too long, as today while waiting for the sales person when I had to get a new phone (about an hour). I got home and all of the sudden the spasms began. I haven't cried like that since I had my surgery on Oct, 2010. It was only a "minor" surgery. When I read what other people have been through here I feel like such a baby. I hope you are feeling better soon and I guess rest is in the picture! Chris
  • 2 months port-op after a 2 level fusion. I'll bet you hurt. Didn't your surgeon talk to you about how/what activities you should be doing? I spent the first 3 months doing PT with limited twisting and no jumping/bouncing. Dancing causes too much twisting in your hips which translates into your lumbar spine. No BLT.

At 6 months my surgeon was happy with the hardware and fusion that he told me to start doing whatever I wanted within reason. It was still painful doing something but wasn't really hurting my fusion or hardware.

I'm impressed you can fly coast to coast in 2 months. I tried a short hop up the east coast and it was painful. Sitting that long in that confinement is too much. I'm now a year out and have agreed to travel coast to coast when needed.

• yep even 8 years post op if i overdo i feel it. I would love to tell you it does but i would be lying. some things will never be the way they were before.
    4 level posterolateral fusion L2-S1 with rods and screws and cadaver bone. Spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, sciatica, DDD, facet disease and arthritis. September 2002