Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar/Corset Brace

jh236jjh236 Posts: 27
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Question for all regarding the wearing, or not wearing, of a lumbar corset/brace. I'm almost 5 weeks post-op, 2 level L3-L5 open TLIF and L2-L3 left side discectomy.

Per my discharge instructions, I was wearing my brace at all times other than sleeping. This is a soft brace with a form fitted hard plastic insert in the back. At my 2 week appointment to have the staples removed, my PA told me I didn't need to wear it at all times, only if doing anything physical (what little I'm allowed to!) or dangerous (i.e. outside in the winter conditions of ice and snow). At this point, I'm still having a lot of pressure/pain along the surgery area and significant soreness along my lower back when sitting upright or standing still.

The last couple days, I've tried wearing the brace more often and it seems to be alleviating a lot of this pain. I'm just curious if anyone else has had the same experiences post-op and whether this seems "normal". I just don't know if the wearing the brace is just hiding a post-op problem.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    You should have this discussion with your doctor/surgeon to better understand the why's and why nots'

Over the years, I've had to wear back braces, cervical hard collars and restrictive shoulder slings after surgeries. They will all necessary and helped my recovery. There was a time when I needed to stop using those items. It was after those periods, that I started to have the best forward improvements.

There were times after I 'shed' those items, that I felt more vulnerable. I always talked it over with my doctors to better understand the pros/cons in keeping or shedding the brace/collar/sling.

Contact your doctor for your details and direction
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I had a 2 level fusion on 12-13-10. I have a hard clam shell brace. The only time I dont have to wear it is sleeping or showering. Even going to the restroom I have to wear it. My Dr was very strict on this, He said that it takes the pressure off the fusion and is very important in keeping stress off it and from twisting or bending, At 5 weeks still wearing it and will for 3-4 months I was told. Just for your info
  • afte my fusion yes i wore it and was so glad i did...as i had my sugery in march...when i was able to get out and walk...it sure helped on my block we got over 40 kids...
    so they could see me with the very stylish brace on and stay clear of bikes n skate-boards...
    but for me i thought was very helpful to as robin said take the pressure off the spine...my doc said it would help me in long run for my recovery .....
    so i did it...i definitly would ck with the doc..call and leave a msg...i would think that the pa is taking orders from the doc...but for me i would have to hear those words straight from the doc
    take care
    follow your docs orders
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Thanks all for the input. It seems from reading the forum it all depends on the doctor and I bet on the specifics of the procedure(s).

Definitely does help with the pain and tolerance when standing walking and has the added side effect of making bending difficult, which seems to force me to kneel for stuff rather than reach for it!

Planning to talk to them tomorrow on this and just to hopefully get some relief advice that these aches and pains are normal.