Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to forum

fizzffizz Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I just found this site and i'm so relieved that im not alone with my issues!

Im 36 and been in pain for over 20 years started out as stiffness now to the point i cannot function normally. I cannot pinpoint what caused the pain, ill just say i was very active in my younger days and reckless.

Ive done it all except surgery, right now the meds arent working and im in severe pain. Going soon for my 7th epidoral they too arent helping much any more. I know we wre not here to dignose each other just for advise and support.

I do have question to disability? With severe thorasic pain what is chances of getting perminate disability? Or would they force surgery? Has anyone encountered this?

• Welcome.
    Can you explain more about the pain and where it is?
    Surgery is not necessarily where you should be headed and should probably be treated as a last resort.
    You seem to be implying that lifestyle has played a role, but that is true for everyone. Every body is different, but you may be able to get some different perspectives from members here.
    Medical treatments for pain tend to be solely drug related, ignoring the huge influences that other things can have-such as diet, lifestyle, work demands, posture, bedding, mineral and other deficiencies, stress, plus of course any physical problems that may exist.
    You will need to examine all of these areas, and you may well find that what you do is the main cause!
    I can't finish without suggesting that you try using magnesium oil-it is brilliant for relieving muscle pain.
  • Thanks for reply! My pain is in center of back between shoulder blades feels like someone has their knee shoved into it as well as burning. I also have weakness in arms and my neck. I have herniated disks (not sure which ones) but 5 of them.

I am concerned because I have a baby who is 1 and I miss alot of her life cause I am laid up. And I work 12hr shifts at a chemical company who will not hessitate to get rid of anyone who constantally goes out for medical reasons. I do not miss time i drag myself in to work but miss alot of family functions.
  • Also my activities are limited I do not lift or do anything that may agrivate my back. I gave up almost all of my hobies except fishing and that too I no longer do like i once did
  • Surgery is your decision and NO one elses. When you have reached the end of your rope you decide what you need to do to get by. As my NS said recently when I feel like jumping off a cliff we will do it.

I am in your same boat. I can't do anything with out causing my self more pain and therefor I am now living inside a box... I keep doing what I do to try to keep my mind off my pain, but it only works for so long. Have you started working with a Pain Manager. I did about 4-5 months ago and it has made a huge difference.

I personally can't afford to go on disability so it's not an option for me. I do know that they will not force you to have surgery. There are many members on here who are recieving disability and never had surgery. I suggest that you start off with hiring a disability attorney and go from there.

Welcome to Spine Health :)

• Thoracic injuries are very slow to heal and very easily aggravated due to poor circulation in that part of your spine. Surgery is very risky and not many Orthopedics will do it. As far as social security permanent disability, Id definately get a lawyer. A friend of mine got his without a lawyer, but he went through 5 or 6 back surgeries.