Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Calling all NHS users - need your help!

itsalongwalk2iitsalongwalk2 Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I need some advice and thought here was a good place. I have had a long and complicated surgical history from an initial diagnosis of spondylolisthesis. I have new issues in my back higher up and need them looking into.

I have lost confidence in my surgeon - he doesn't do anything and seems to ignore what I tell him.

I have spent months looking for a new doctor. I asked around professional circles PT, osteopaths, GP's etc. Reviewing web sites is not really helpful as to find someone who is qualified to deal with a complex case. Eventually a name came up. My GP agreed to refer me.

I went yesterday and what a waste of time! I am so annoyed. I have waited 3 months to see them.
I had an Xray (usual for new patients) but no clinical examination (in fact in the long horrible last few years I have only ever had 2 physical clinical examinations!!!!!!!!) - he looked at the XR, questioned fusion at my 2 levels and then I showed him CT from 2 years ago. He then said all was fused, no more surgery - He said I had a spinal rotation and referred me for physio. He said "core stability" (the usual blurb).

He never did a proper history, examination, where are you now? - clear he didn't want to take me on, which is fine as I want some-one who knows what to do. A ortho surgeon may not be the right person - but who is?

Problem is, how do I find a competent surgeon / doc, to deal with a complicated history?
I have located a few via the web (advertising their services) and was wondering if I should contact them directly (traditionally we have to go through our GP's and this can take months to discover that they don't want to know)
I feel so stuck - needing help but the uk system just says "your complicated" Where do I go now?

Thanks for reading. Sorry a bit long.