Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Looking for info/help

needanswersnneedanswers Posts: 1
I am a 25 year old firefighter. I suffered a herniated disc about 3 months ago. Since then I have been dealing with lower back pain and sciatica. I am a few sessions into physcial therapy, and I have had two cortisone shots in the last 2.5 months. I would like to know if other people have had success with physical therapy, how long did it take to get healed, and is it long lasting? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

• I wanted to welcome you to SH. I am sorry that you are having low back pain and sciatica. I personally wanted to get so much out of physio. I really enjoyed going. In my case it did not heal me, but that is just my situation which is different from yours. I am sure others will chime in with there experiences as well. I think everyone is different and I hope that you will get the relief that you are looking for.
    Again welcome!
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and asnwer what questions we can. there are some good nerve pain medications for sciatica that you might speak to your doctor about.. they can be very effective on sciatica pain.. everyone is different so what works for one of us may not work for another.. this is true about pt as well. good luck to you... trying conservative measures are a good idea if at all possible before any type of surgery..Jenny :)
  • Hi Mike sorry to hear about your problems. How do you know you have a herniated disc, Did you have an MRI? If you did is it pinching any nerve roots? If it is your Dr. would have probabbly suggested surgery. I also had a herniated disc but it was severly pinching the S1 nerve root causing the pain in my leg(sciatica). How bad is it? Can you still work? Im asking because I thought my pain was really bad, until I had the surgery and scar tissue formed where the dics chunk was and now I feel the same as before, even after PT, 5 injections. Im not trying to scare you it has worked for many people, just trying to educate you of the problems you can face after surgery that they dont tell you about, like in my case. Anyway good luck and message me if you have any questions? Im also a 26 year old male and have been dealing with this for 2 years.
  • Welcome to Spine Health!!

As to whether a disk will shrink back in or not depends on the disk, the location, your activities and overall health to name a few. I was a pilot and law enforcement officer, and like you, had herniated disks and too went through the conservative roads: shots, PT, aqua therapy, massage etc. For me due to my work activities still going as 'usual', those methods for me did not work, and I got to the point that I required surgery.

Only your doctor will be able to tell if the treatments assigned are working, and too your body will tell you day to day if they are working. 25 is too young for this crap - so sorry you're in those shoes. Is there any chance they can adjust your position to allow for the treatments to help or work? I have found that those under 40, they try hard to *not* have to perform surgery. Please let us know how it goes. Again, welcome aboard!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.