Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

promodlightningppromodlightning Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Pain Medications
Is anyone here taking Topiramate 25mg? My Orthopedic just prescribed this for me to take 1 at bedtime and when I looked it up it said that it is used for seizures.

• This is probably the wrong section- should have been under medication. Maybe a mod will move the post?

I had been taking it for months (need to go back on it but I am waiting to see my NS again first). It is a good medicine for prevention of migraine, nerve pain and weight loss. 25 mg is a low dose. It takes a few weeks to start working. I started out at 25 mg and then worked up to 100 mg daily. You have to get used to the side effects. Mine lasted for about 3 weeks- the best part was the weight loss. I have lost roughly 40 lbs. Food doesn't appeal to you-great if your chubby :) the bad part for me is no matter how much I try, I just don't enjoy any food any more. It does make me a little dopey as well. I take mine around 6 pm- any later and I am having weird dreams and night mares.

Good luck,

• I ve been taking this medication for nerve pain for about a year .side effects soda taste flat numbness, pin, and needle in my hands and feet
  • My Dr. put me on this medication over a year ago to help me with leg pain. Especially night leg pain. I have a bad back with pinched nerves causing bad right leg pain. Trying to sleep is tough, the weight of the covers feel like 100 pounds sometimes on my leg and foot. The topamax seems to help me. I still have my pain but not as severe as it was without this medication. Also this medication aids in weight loss. Or at least it won't make you gain weight like alot of drugs do.
  • I took this years ago for cluster headaches. Started out at 25 and then ramped up to 100mg. a day. It worked wonders on my headaches, even the "regular" migraines decreased... I didn't have the weight loss (wish I had!! :) ) but I did run into memory problems after about a year... so, my doc took me off it (100, 75, 50, 25, 25 every other day, etc).

This was back when I had just "regular" pain and I can't ever remember feeling any different back or knee wise while on it... otoh, I could still walk miles back then, now that would just be a dream :(

Oh, originally it was (and may still be) a seizure medication, they just found that it worked on other things as well.