Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My Surgery is tomorrow, Jan 20

Rae-CARRae-CA Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, it's finally here. I had my pre-op appointment with my NR and we're good to go. Nerves are beginning to kick in a bit but over all I think I'm handling it pretty well. Meeting with my Dr helped. We looked at the film of my updated MRI and it was amazing to actually see the area that is crunching the nerves and causing all the problems.

He will do the laminectomy, bone graft and fusion with hardware. He will also do some clean up. He said I have an 80% chance of success. I will have a bone stimulator and back brace. He said controlling the pain will be a challenge but he thinks we can do it.

I have read all the posts here the last 2 weeks and really appreciate the good advice from some of the members. I took advantage of the items needed list and think I have everything I will need. My husband has taken time off work to take care of me and help me through it. He will bring my iPad to me at the hospital if Im feeling up to it. If so, I will post an update.

Thanks again for all the help!

• hey rae,
    I wish you all the best and good thoughts and prayers coming your way...
    seems like we wait n wait and then its apon us...
    Just do as your told and you will be fine...
    sounds like alot to get done...one day at a time..
    and post and let us know all about each day of your great and speedy recovery
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Thanks for the good wishes!
  • You are having the same procedures that I had.
    I am so much better now :-)
    sounds like you are well prepared for the recovery.
    We'll be here to support you through it.
    Looking forward to hearing from you :0)
  • >:D< And I have everything crossed for you and I Cant wait to read your post after the surgery.

Take care
  • Best of Luck we all will have you in our thoughts and prayers!
  • Hi Rae :) Sounds like you're having a very similar surgery to the one I had nearly eight months ago (fusion at L4/L5 & S1 as result of degenerative disc disease). Just wanted to wish you all the best while in hospital and for when you get home (the BEST feeling ever no matter how nice they are in hospital... your own bed and own people looking after you just like you deserve)! Will be thinking of you tomorrow from all the way over here in the UK, it's a long tough journey but given that you're already at the going into hospital stage you've delat with so much already that this can just be the new beginning of a new and hopefully much more pain free chapter in your life! Take care and keep us up to date with your recovery, this is the best place to come as everyone on here SO understanding of everything that we go through on a daily basis. Get well very soon, Lucy x
  • Here's to you're upcoming surgery going well and just the way they plan it to go. I hope the recovery process goes well for you and I also am looking forward to your first post-op update.

Take care of yourself, it's all about you now - getting through surgery, recovering and healing. I'm glad you have everything at the ready and that you're hubby will be there to take care of you. It should be a real eye-opener for him going down this road with you.

We'll be here waiting for you and will be here to help you through the rollercoaster of recovery, unless yours is seamless, but we'll be here for you in any case.

Take care and we'll see you on the other side. It's going to be good and you'll see that soon.

• thinking of you Rae. Wishing you all the best tomorrow with your surgery. You sound very well prepared...as well as we can be. That is great that your husband has taken some time off to help you afterward. Soon you will be on the other side, with decreased pain,increased mobility to look forward to in the future.Try to do something special for yourself today, and we will be here waiting to hear from you when you are able.
    gentle >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • To you Rae! Hope all goes well and you are soon on the mend!
  • :H The best of luck with your fusion. we will be praying for a very positive recovery for you. Let us know how you are doing when you feel better.
  • Hello Rae

Good luck for your operation. We'll be praying for you and your health. I hope that you recover well.

url removed by Authority member Neck of Steel. It is a violation of forum rules to advertise.
  • Thinking of you Rae and hoping it all goes to plan and that when you wake your pain will be well controlled :-)
    soon you will be on this side of surgery; a much more hopeful place to be.
    Looking forward to hearing how you are doing.