Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Pain at L4/L5

DeltabreezeDDeltabreeze Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Lower Back Pain

I am new to this website and in search of some solutions to my back problems.

My doctor tells me that I have degenerative changes at the L4 and L5 which is also affecting my scoliosis. I wake up in horrible pain at night but doesn't seem to bother me too much during the daytime. He wants to send me to get cortisone injections at the L4/L5. Has anyone had this done and does it bring relief?

Thank you!

• Your doctor I believe is referring to epidural steroid injections. There is a lot of information about these on this site.

Some get relief and some don't. The only way for you to know is to have it done.

Best wishes,

• If it's going to work then you will feel the pain instantly go away. But, the pain comes back and you're only allowed three of the injections as they are not good for you. Exhaust all your options before surgery but the shots are a band-aid solution.
  • I have problems with L4/L5 and I have had the facet joint injections in the past (which are explained on this site) and an injection into my sacriliac joint. These contain a steroid so I had 5 lots in 2009 but havent had them since - they dont let you have too many. I am at the pain clinic tomorrow and I am going to ask if I can have some more now. The day they are done (I usually have 6 each time) it hurts like hell to be honest and the following day isnt good either so I always have to have a couple of days off work. Then gradually over the next week I find the pain goes away and then it is a great relief. They last with me for about 4 weeks after that and then the pain starts to return. I think everyone is different. If you get the chance I would definately take them up and try them. Good luck
  • epidural steroid injections do not always instantly help sometime they take longer, I have had a pressure feeling in my back as long as two weeks. Also I found that the doctor and the wat he does them makes a big diffence
  • ive had them 2 times first time no results 2 time no results..which i had a severe problem at l4-l5-l6 .if not real bad it might..if only hurts at night and not out 24 hours like me ..it might help.only pain you will feel is when the med hits the damge nerve.so dont be real scared.lot people makes it out to be a rough thing ..gl
This discussion has been closed.