Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weather setting off a fibro flare

sue in ohiossue in ohio Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Fibromyalgia
We had an ice storm here in Ohio last night so the cold rain and damp has the fibro really flared up. I made myself do a workout and it helped a lot in that it loosened up the tight muscles. Sometimes it is hard to know which problem is causing the pain- the fibro, the chronic myofascial pain, the pain from my fusion in 1998, or the newest lumbar facet joint disease for which I get my 3rd round of injections for tomorrow.

The shots are helping a lot with the facet joint pain and the celexa and my wonderful psychologist are helping with the emotional pain and I must admit in spite of this current flare up I feel great- happy to be alive! I am also using my light box each morning and that helps a lot as well. Between the half hour of stretching each morning, daily meditation and medication, and journaling even when the pain goes up, I feel pretty good. My biggest problem right now is pacing myself as I want to do so much because I feel so good and then of course the pain goes up. Slowly but surely I am learning to pace a hard concept for me! It feels so good to be out of that dark place the depression and anxiety had me and accpeting the fact I needed an anti-depressant, and probably have for years! Life is good again!

sue in ohio

• I hope you're still doing well, Sue. You and I share a lot of things by the sounds of it. I know that frustration of having a "good" spell and wanting to just do, do, do.....and I also know the pain of what comes afterwards!

Take care of yourself - glad to hear that life is (or was, at least!) good again.

• I had a rough spell last week when we had 70 degrees and rain one day then 30s and snow the next. Right now not too bad, but it was in the 80s yesterday and will be in the 70s today with dropping temps and rain with possibly severe storms later today and highs in the 40s tomorrow.

They called from the pain clinic this morning and I will getting my S1 injection on Thursday. I am very nervous about this one as they do not knock you out, but they numb it and they gave me a 10 mg valium to take before hand to prevent a panic attack.

Today I am watching my 4 year old grandaughter and we came over to our house to see grandpa then going to the playland at the mall and will have a pretzel and lemonade. If the storms hit I will have her on my lap the rest of the day for sure as she is terrified of storms.

sue in ohio
  • Did you get through it okay? Hope you had some relief and are still enjoying some reduced pain.

I'm in Canada, and we have had the craziest spring on record, I think....my body can't keep up to all the different pressure systems here!!

• We did not get the severe storms that day, but right now there is a severe thunderstorm warning for us and we have gotten so much rain already it is unreal! My pain levels are up as usual when storms are coming in.

sue in ohio
  • weather definately plays a part in my fibromyalgia. It usually happens when the pressure is dropping. I don't know what the connection is. I'm sure people with arthritus can relate to some degree. When I suddenly have an onset of aches and pains I tell my husband I bet the pressure is dropping. We'll check the weather channel and sure enough 9 times out of 10 I'm right.

I have a hard time pacing myself too. Like today I feel pretty good. I slept good last night. I've scrubbed my guest bathroom floor by hand. I know I know I probably shouldn't have, but now as I feel the aches kicking in I know I will take it easy the rest of the day. It had to be done though. That's probably the hardest part of it all, I want to do it all, but I can't. I have to spread out my house cleaning throughout the week. If I try and do it all in a couple of days I've definately over done it.