Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What's your Sciatica?

DC42DC42 Posts: 23
Hello, I have been dealing with my problems for almost two years now and need some advice. I had FBBS do to scar tissue over the S1 nerve root. Before the scar tissue formed I was free and clear of all my symptoms, except the numbness down the back of my leg, and a tight sore calf muscle.
All the original symptoms are back which are as follows. I have a sore spot left sided in my back thats feels like I was stabbed there. The top of my left butt cheek also feels like someone stabbed me there. My hamstring hurts down the very back of it, and is always tight no matter how much I stretch. Behind my knee is very numb and sore and my calf muscle always hurts and has spasms. It goes down my leg to my achelies tendon and into that ball on the outsie of your foot. Also the whole bottom and left side of my foot are numb, and my first two little toes hurt, but the pain that builds up in my heel is unbeariable. I have had 5 epidural injections, PT, message, chiro, hot packs, cold packs, you name it. Nothing seems to help my leg pain below the knee, ever. The back pain comes and goes from a pain scale of 10 its a 7 or 8. I have knee pain, hip pain, and ankle pain that also seem to come and go slightly but the rest always stays.
Im taking a sleeping pill, and gabapentin but it doesnt seem to help much. Im wondering if I possibly have a problem with the same nerve mabye somewhere lower in my leg. Could there be a problem with my knee or ankle making it so this nerve never heals. My dr. claims its all S1 pain pattern but sometimes I wonder. Im about to have another back sugery and would hate it if the scar tissue or the slight herniated disc weren't the only problems here. Who knows? Does anybody else have problems with the S1 nerve root, L5/S1 disc. Half of the disc was removed during the micro, and wondering if there is no new problem, mabye just nerve damage from the original? If you do have S1 pain, please be specific where exactly it hurts you. Thanks

• wow sounds like the same as me but i have what feels like a broken bottle in my lower left back , the pain in leg and foot never gos away just higher and lower and sometimes numb witch may be better than hurting it just makes it hard to walk , i have had a mri that shows a tear .and slight re herniation at l5-s1 and bulge at l4 -l5. my surgeon wants to do a new mri and see if things are getting worse. sense i am tripping more and having more and longer spasms in my back that seems to go all the way threw to the front and down in my left hip but area.
    specific where exactly it hurts -back just left and right on spine at l5-s1, left hip. left side of bum cheek.back and outside of thigh.back of knee and inside knee. from knee down back of caff and heal numb on the out side can not feel touching or doc poking with needle ,but the inside hurts like hell.bottom and left side of foot. left 3 toes hurt all the time and some times feel like some one is ripping them off with vice grip pliers .
    lately some pain in big and #2 toe =l4-l5?
    meds=i have tried only help some, still searching,percoset? and flexrell?
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I have had 2 micro surgeries on the l4-5, S1 and still have sciatica due to scar tissue. After both surgeries I was pain free until the scar tissue wrapped itself around my sciatic nerve. My issues involve pain in the left butt cheek, traveling down to my left outer thigh which feels like a very tight muscle right above my knee. I experience no pain below my knee which my docs find odd but I will get numbness in my left foot. Not continually but only occasionally. Low back pain is sporadic. I never know when that is going to flare up. I can go months with zero back pain then all the sudden feel like Ive been hit by a bus. When that happens it usually hangs around for a month or two until everything calms down. The docs now want to do a fusion but for now Im putting it on hold until I cannot stand it any longer. Ive had 7 surgeries on my spine and I am in no big hurry to do another. What type of surgery are you having?
  • I have a herniated disc causing the sciatica at L5/S1. I have searing pain right across my lower back that feels like fire inside. It radiates into my hips, groin and lower abdomen when at its worst. I also get stabbing pains when I move the wrong way, bend forward or lift anything over 6-8 pounds. The pain in my back is almost constant even if I'm lying down.
    My right leg is one most affected but I have problems with both. Right leg - shooting pain down back of thigh and calf; numbness from back of thigh down to heel, outside of foot and smallest 3 toes. These have been just numb for a long time(5 months) with no pain except for muscle spasms which affect my whole leg, calf, thigh, ankle, foot from time to time but not constant.
    Left side has just started in the last couple months I get the shooting pain down the back of my thigh and sometimes right to my heel. I have pain in my foot around the smallest three toes and the top of my foot above these toes. No numbness on left yet.