Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Incision site is black and blue

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
My brother in law underwent a discectomy approx. 2 years ago. During the last week his incision and surrounding area has swollen and turned black and blue. It hurts when pushed on. Has anyone else experienced this?
He is reluctant to go to a doctor due to he just started a new job and does not want to take time off for a Drs. appt.
Is it possible after all this time to get a infection?

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,368
    They say the 5 most dangerous words in the english language is "maybe it will go away".

Two years post surgery I would think there should be no "new" symptoms .... was there any recent trama to the area? is this his lumbar or cervical "incision" site?

With concern,

Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    It is in his lumbar area with no new trauma.
  • A friend of mine developed a hemangioma in a previous surgical site where he had a laminectomy/discetomy over a year prior. He had similar symptoms to what you are describing for your brother. He also started to have a return of his pre surgery symptoms and radiculopathy due to the hemangioma pressing on his nerve. He had to have surgery to remove the hemangioma.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    He is making a appointment with the doctor. I think I scared him enough.lol
  • it seems to be one end of the spectrum or the other. Someone doesn't feel quite right, whether visibly or not. They wait and wait until it gets really bad. Then in a panic want to see a doc immediately. Then the other end. The hypochondriacs who call a doc for every little thing that happens.

If you scared him and it gave him a wake up call that's ok in my book. Black and blue and swelling and you know you didn't get hit. Something is wrong.