Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Drug combination for relief

PattyAnnPPattyAnn Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I have a mild disc bluge at T6-7, central disc protrusion at T7-8, mild disc bluge at T8-9, and circumference disc bulge with central disc extrusion and annular tear at T9-10 that extends superiorly along with mulitlevel degenerative changes of the thoracic spine with scattered hemagiomas throughout the thoracic spine. I take one percocet in the morning and then lortab the rest of the day. I have tired injections and now PT. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Nothing takes the pain away it only dulls it enough to move....i have been told the only time surgery will be performed is when I loose the use of my legs or bowels. Any one else in the same boat as me???? Would love to chat to see if you have found anything that gives you relief.

• PattyAnn this is JulieAnn :) welcome to spine health :)

I have almost exactly the same injury as you. I will tell you what I am taking.

40 mg Oxycontin CR (extended release) every 12 hours. I started on moraphine extended release it was great but I was allergic- then we tried Oxy CR and started out at 25mg every 12 hours, then 30, now 40. I also take Oxycodone 5 mg (3 per day to use how I see fit). I would like 1 more of these a day for my big work days but he says not yet. Then I also take a muscle relaxer- Robaxin 750 mg every 6 hours. I tried zanaflex (liked it but was too drowsy).

Prior to these meds I was taking 10 mg of vicaden 1-2 every 4-6 hours and flexerile 10 mg every 8 hours.

On top of that I still use Tylenol, Advil or Aleve (one of these guys just about every day).

I also use heat, ice and a tens unit and I frequently lay across a very large excerize ball to decompress the spine.

Feel Better >:D<

• Thank you for the information JulieAnn. I am trying to find the right combination to reduce the pain. I will keep in mind what you take. I have bought a ball chair to use at work, and it has helped.... you might want to check into one also if you sit alot. Does driving cause you more pain?
  • I work from home :) I sit where ever I want (I use the ball for sitting and stretching- I have been using it since before my lumbar surgery). Driving is a major part of my job and yes it is the worst (even more so since my lower back started buggin me again).

Good luck,

• I have a thorasic herniation and have pain shooting down to my leg and numbing. I'm in so much pain! Anyone can help me?
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    The pain meds I take are oxycontin 40 mg 3x/day
    Neurontin 100 mg 3x/day and 300 mg at hs
    hydrocodone 2 tabs 3-4 x/day ..usually...

often times phenergan 25 mg for unbelievable nausea and vomiting. That usually makes it immpossible for me to drive even the next day....and the above meds are a play it by ear daily as to whether I can drive or not..cognitively..impaired.

Sitting even if it is to visit..I end up being like a little kid with the positions I move to relieve some pain and for me...yes, driving is usually very painful for me. I have limited myself to like 10 mile radius and still at times I want to cry that I am not at destination fast enough.

Meds only take edge off..which I'm grateful for..but pain is everyday and everyday something new.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History