Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Numbness under foot and sciatica and leg pain ...

BarMcBBarMc Posts: 24
I'm a bit worried about the numbness under my foot which seems to be getting worse. I also have chronic lumber pain and sciatica but my foot is now starting to hurt on the top of it. Could this be a nerve entrapment? Thanks

• I'm not sure but I'm experiencing the same thing. My right foot has been numb for months - the heel, outer side and bottom up to and including the 3 small toes. I rarely feel pain in this one except my heel now and then. But my left foot has a very painful tender part just above my 3 small toes. The pain goes right through from top to bottom and feels like someone stomped on my foot. It has been like this for a couple weeks and I can't see my dr. til Feb. Since I'm also getting the shooting pains down my left leg I'm just assuming it is part of the sciatica but I don't know for sure.

Hope you find out and/or feel better soon. This pain really sucks!
  • I get the same type of pain, and I am dealing with major sciatica problems right now. My physiotherapist has been able to do some mobilization in my low back which takes a little of the pressure off and gives me a break; it's not permanent, by any means, but it does reduce the leg/foot pain a little bit, so it's worth it. I do know the spinal stenosis in my low back has progressed to "severe", so there's no question where this is coming from. I haven't had the heel pain in a while, but it would feel like it was on fire.

Hope you find a way to get some relief. Do you ever ice your lower back to see if you can get the inflammation down a little that way?

• i had the same thing prior to my last surgery, for me it was from an L4/L5 herniation. it was part of the sciatica given it fit the dermatomal distribution pathway (i.e. the pain corresponded with the areas enervated by the L5 nerve pathway)
  • Bean53BBean53 Posts: 1
    edited 05/09/2014 - 9:09 AM
    I read this original comment as well as many others and they have made me cry, because I understand EXACTLY what you are going through. I have been suffering from my sciatic pain for years. However, just last year it went from happening for about a week at a time to constant debilitating pain that swells up and shoots down my left buttock into my entire into my leg, down into my foot.

When the pain reached right around my ankle, it spreads out into my foot, where it burns with pins and needles all throughout my foot. The bottom of my foot is very severe. My foot as of right now is completely numb. I cannot feel hot or cold, but when I just gently graze the bottom of my foot, it is unbelievably sensitive and the pain is unreal.

When I tried acupuncture, the man placed many pieces of "Moxxa" (unsure of the spelling) from the top of the back of my left leg to right before my foot. He lit each on fire, testing my legs sensitivity to the heat. Would you believe that I didn't feel one! They were burnt to the core, touching my leg, and I had no feeling at all. It was very discouraging. He then placed an additional needle in my lower back, above where the left severe buttock pain is at it's source. The needle was just pulsing consistently until he removed it. He wanted to continue the treatment, however, I wasn't finding much relief by the third visit so I gave up on thinking there was a solution...Again.

This pain is ruining my life. I cannot continue to live in this state of pain all day every day for another minute, yet I do not want to start taking pain medicine again. Yes, it helped a lot, but it just masked the pain, solving nothing, while I ended up having to take more and more for the pain to stop after my body adapted to the amount I was taking initially. It was not the solution at all, so I stopped taking them.

However, days like today when the pain has kept me in bed, covered in ice, unable to go through my day because of the pain being at a high, and my foot being constantly filled with this numbing pain.

I need relief...I am seeing a different Doctor on the 15th, and I am going to discuss any injection therapy before any surgery. My MRI stated that I have four bulging discs, and arthritis in my lower back. This is in addition to severe nerve damage from a college softball accident...I'm sure my three car accidents didn't help the situation as well.

I understand EXACTLY what everyone is going through.

How do you get through your days when the pain is this bad and you just know that it NEVER GOES AWAY?
  • I too have the burning,tingling and numbness. It is good to know that I have not lost my mind from questioning myself is this real, and have I gone mad from these sensations in my foot and leg. I have three lumbar disc herniations from over ten years of hard labor. I am a 35 year old male and it makes a person question his capabilities , current and future. I wish this problem on nobody but at least I know there are others out there who can tell a similar story. I have had two spinal injections and I am about 11 days out from the last one. One night it felt as though my heel was on fire and wanted to scream. I wish i could know now what my future may hold in terms of surgery but being on the path through workers comp, I fear that my path is chosen by them and not me. I just hope I don't lose strength and movement in the left leg.
  • MauiripperMMauiripper Posts: 38
    edited 05/10/2014 - 3:35 PM
    I hope the two of you are seeing a pain management Dr and a neurologist. Looks like an EMG is needed to see where the nerve damage is coming from
    My neurologist told me if it is your heel it is your S1
    I have the same pain. Lyrica has helped me not 100% but it is better than before. Mine is worse when standing. Then i ice my back and elevate my legs. I have one of those plastic lawn chairs. Perfect for me gets my legs elevated and at a good angle
    Good luck to both of you
    Fell 11ft 2007 numerous fractures broken arm, 4 head bleeds.
    Nerve blocks, tried stimulator, acupuncture, massage, numerous injections, nerve blocks. Ect. Vitamins
    2011 laminectomy, april 4. 2014 Fusion l5-S1. PLIF