Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long do people usually get off of work for a complex surgery?

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I'm wondering how long people generally get off of work for complex spinal surgery (meaning something beyond a single level fusion- multi-level fusions or 360 degree fusions, etc)?

I am mostly just wondering when I should start expecting myself to do more, and since I don't have a paying job I never got a note from my doctor (well, he signed me off of Jury Duty for 6 months, but I doubt he would have kept me out of work that long!)

I hear people going back to work in 2, 4, 6 weeks and honestly at 5 weeks out I can't imagine. I can move around fine, but I am still so tired, every little thing takes a lot out of me! I am trying to decide whether to delay going back to school until summer or even fall.

• Hello happyHBmom,
    I would think time off from work before a person is released to return to work would vary, depending on the patient, their history,and the requirements of their job. I had a 2 level fusion TLIF L4-S1 eight weeks ago and have had a cervical fusion and also have other lumbar issues as well. My Dr. will not release me no sooner than 6 months and unfortunately not to the job that I have had for 21 years. On a positive note,I have noticed that I am not getting tired as frequently as I was so hopefully you will start seeing some improvement. Best of luck to you.