Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain, numbness, pins and needles, and a toddler!

TammyTTammy Posts: 84
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:50 AM in Lower Back Pain
If I had over 2000 posts on the pre-2008 forum, do I still count as a newbie now?

Can't believe I'm back here. Hi everyone. Long story short, Spondy Grade II L5/S1 with DDD, and some bulging in L4/L5. Two major back-outs better with physical therapy, survived a pregnancy with no problem. This past month back is acting up and my toddler is 18 months and VERY active. Having pins and needles and numbness all through both legs which I never had before. Xray confirms I went from a 30% slippage to a 40% slippage at some point. Back to PT I go.

Anyway, just looking for some stories of success where folks who got the leg jumk were able to get rid of it with PT and avoided surgery? Anyone? And howwwwwww do you not make it worse with a toddler on deck?

(Sigh)

Tammy
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome back to Spine-Health.

I can't help you and have no answers - I'm nowhere close to the position you're in. I did have to have surgery and I have no childen.

But I thought I'd bump this to the top so some with similar situations could post and hopefully help you get through this difficult situation.

What does your doc say is the best plan of action?

Take care,
    Cathie
  • So far it's do the PT and hope I get better like all the other times. But the leg fun is new and not particularly welcome :) Hopefully the PT works! Thanks for replying!
  • >:D< Welcome back to our friendly Board! >:D< In november an MRI confirmed the causes of my back pain, pins and needles in both calves, and sciatica: Grade 1 spondy at L4-5, mild facet arthritis in a couple of areas, and three herniated disks - mild at L2-3 and 3-4 and, at L4-5, "exiting left neural foramen (a.k.a. opening for a nerve) and encroaching L4 nerve root". I said, "No way!," to proposed surgery and had a 6-week course of PT which I completed two weeks ago. I hope your outcome will be as good as mine: elimination of sciatica and tingling and reduction of back pain from 8/10 to 3 at the most, which I can nicely live with. Best wishes and keep us posted. Love 'n Hugs, Essmoe
  • Tammy,
    The key thing is perhaps to develop a toddler strategy and only do those things that do not make the pain any worse, so limited lifting and carrying, find seating that is suitable to you and not too low and use that as a platform, it just requires more attention to how to do those things and some others may have to be omitted.

All my three children have been bought up in the confines of my physical limitations; the guilt we feel is hard to deal with and in trying to substitute alternative ways and means we can get through. You are courageous to be doing PT while in pain and I would agree with you view to postpone surgery to the last possible moment, where it is the only option left.

Who do you have to support you can they do some of the things you are finding impossible, be assertive as possible in expressing your need to others and do ask for help. I was a house husband for some time even after my operation and some things however frustrating needed to be left. As you know every task took considerably longer and some day I was not up to very much at all getting thought the day itself was success with the objective to go a bit fast when and if possible.

I would sit to do most tasks, with the notion of being active sitting standing in rotation, try to do things in a position that is comfortable for you at waist height with no bending, I still wince when I see people bending to the floor.

It is better to discuss and express those frustration here, my wife and I worked well as a team, I use the term loosely, she was the coach and I did as I was told, bringing up my own children did bring us all closer together and give me an insight to the roles and responsibility in nurturing our offspring.

Caring for young children is exhausting at times and while in constant pain never easy, I think we had bad days when we did not go far at all and lived to venture another day.

Take care and good luck.

John

• Esmoe, I almost cried to hear the PT actually did work for the leg stuff since I didn't think it possibly could. I only just started back so hopefully!

John, yes, my husband is the most amazing guy on the planet. A few years ago he asked to learn something to help me and my PT showed him how to do traction on me at home. That has kept me out of PT for a long time. Plus he does all the vacuuming and sweeping. Basically, I clean the high parts and he cleans the low parts.

I might buy a stool so I can avoid sitting on the ground when playing with the kiddo.

Tammy
  • Welcome back. So sorry to see you back on the dark side again. When I first hurt my back many moons ago, I did PT and was on my way to a full recovery. If it wasn't for the disc fragment floating around in my back, I believe I would have recovered without surgery. I hope you find some relief.

Dave
  • Good to see ya still here! Well, not good that you are still here. But good to see you!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.