Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PLIF set

bedawgsbbedawgs Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well the Doc talked me into the PLIF instead of ALIF because of me not having kids yet.So D day is FEB 8 and now that the date is set its starting to sink in just how nervous i am.But im going to try to think postive and hope for the best.

• I had my PLIF 4 weeks ago for spondylolisthesis and spinal stenosis. It is a big surgery, and I was scard too - mostly about how much pain I would be in, but it's nothing you can't handle. The best piece of advise I can give is to make sure you don't get behind on your pain meds...I had an alarm set to wake me up during the night to take them. I hope everything goes well for you. If you have questions or anything you want to talk about, feel free to ask...that's what we're here for. Take care.
  • Glad for you that you have a date set for your PLIF. You don't have too long to wait (although it may seem that way). Just enough time to get everything organized that you will need for your hopital stay as well as organizing your home for easy access to things,prepared meals frozen, grabber, toilet seat etc.
    Wishing you all the best. Please keep us updated in the upcoming weeks, or if you have questions, and then let us know about recovery after.
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I agree with Karen. I had l5 s1 fusion for DDD eight weeks ago and had a PCA pump that wasn't set right. It was set so I was allowed to push the pump every eight minutes so when I fell asleep my pain meds would wear off. I did much better with the oral meds as I could keep up with the time (i.e. four hours) much better.

Good Luck,
  • Glad to hear that you have a date and enough time to set things up but not to worry too much:) I had my PLIF almost six weeks ago and I am just now starting to feel like my old self at least part of the time - so make sure you use the lists on here and have help for at least the first week after you come home.

If you have any questions feel free to message me!
  • He said i would have a pump,so ill let my wife keep it pushed,she is going to be staying with me and my girl will be taking care of me when i get home.I have a wonderful wife so thats a plus,I just hope i can get up and walk good after surgrey,i cant stand be still and i better get a private room,last microdiscectomy i was put in A shared room,im telling them up front private room or i walk......lol
  • They wouldn't let my husband push it (the pump). The nurses weren't allowed to push it either. I had a pump when I had a hysterectomy a few years ago and it worked great. The timer on the medicine was longer so the meds lasted longer. YES to the private room too I would say. I requested to be in a newer section of my hospital that only had these huge private rooms and open showers in the bathroom. My husband stayed with me too. I would definately recommend having someone there to stay the night. He was a great help.
  • I hated that stupid pump. It wasn't until day 3 when they gave me percocet that I finally had relief. I was able to walk after day 2 (the day from hell when they get you out of bed). It really hurt but walk, walk and walk some more. Best therapy there is. IMHO.
    4 level posterolateral fusion L2-S1 with rods and screws and cadaver bone. Spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, sciatica, DDD, facet disease and arthritis. September 2002
  • Well I hope i can get up and move,i know its going to hurt like crazy and i have a good pain tolerance,im really starting to get nervous now that its almost here.
  • That this is short term pain for long term gain! I loved my pump and my husband pushed it often for me - there aren't enough nurses working in a hospital these days to take care of what you need, much less worry about who is pushing the button. And actually, today on the 6 week anniversary of my surgery - I am feeling pretty good and had a great water workout today without much pain at all
  • Congrats on getting a date set for your surgery. I had my pre op apt today for me PLIF on Feb 7. I am getting more and more nervous just like you are. I can only imagine how I'm going to feel the morning of surgery. I really hope they can give me something to just relax. I can feel my anxiety growing already just thinking about it.

Good luck with your surgery. I hope everything goes well for you.

• Lol yea when i get there im telling them to give me some good stuff where i dont leave.I know my surgeon is really good but we are human and worry,But I know GOD will be with us.
  • I had my PLIF eight weeks ago and I didn't sleep hardly at all the night before. I had to be at the hospital at 5:30 AM, which I liked. I just wanted it to be over. I did have to wait in the waiting room for 30 minutes before they called me back to be prepped. It seemed to go fast after that. As soon as I got my IV I was given those wonderful meds to calm you down. I was expecting the worse pain afterwards but I was so drugged up I would say it was just uncomfortable. Even after eight weeks I am still recovering but I would say the pain is not at all as bad as I expected. My old pain is completely gone now and I am just dealing with the "healing" pain.

Good luck all,