Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Caudia Equina is a form of Sciatica

Yes, I have been reading a research document from John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford, UK. As you can imagine it worries me more than it does my Doctor. My story is :

Approx 3 years ago I apparently slipped, damaged or whatever to the L5 disc the pain was acute but gradually it went away with physio chriopractice treatments. Every now and then I still get the bad pain but it does not last too long. ( I even had a year long pain free episode )

However, ever since the slipped disc I suffered impairment of erectile function at the same time I danaged my back. I never mentioned this to the doctor as I was embarrased. The situation is not total, just impaired and I have had to work around the problem with some success.

Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with sciatica in left leg with knee jerk weakness on testing. The leg is painful to walk on. This is the first time i have had Sciatica ( i did not have it when i slipped the disc ) and without sounding dramatic, pain is not the right word to use, it is utter hell.

I cannot help but think this is related to the previous disc injury. The pain is more down the leg than central pain in the lower spine. No other symptoms, bladder, bowel okay seem okay, though when I originally damaged the spine, uriniry urge increased for about 2 weeks, which i told my doctor.

Is this typical in a spine related problem like disc injury, I am 48 years old

I am really concernd that this may progress to some form of debility. I dangerously read on the Internet about Caudia Equina but the only red flag I have is 3 years of erectile dysfunction but even here some articles do not mention erectile function as a red flag, only bowel, bladder and saddle numbness as red flags.

I have since told my doctor about the erectile dysfunction and he does not associate this with my current sciatica.

Please if you can comment I would be thankful

• This is just a shot in the dark. But have you had your hormone screaned?

I am sure you are on opioid's for your pain and they may have caused a drop in your testosterone. That is easily treated.

Men and women both should have their hormone levels tested if they are taking opioid's.

As I said this is just a shot in the dark because I am no Doctor but it would not hurt to have this test done just to be sure.

Best of luck to you.

Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • Thanks Pat

This is something my doctor suggested we investigate after the pain has been managed.

• utter hell in the leg sounds like disc injury to me. i have had 4 surgeries all of which were to decompress the nerve that was disk was compressing. i was doing "relatively" fine in between these surgeries, but once the disk herniated enough to pinch the nerve the sciatica reared it's ugly head.

i am not a medical doctor, so don't take what i say as gospel, but this is how it was for me.