Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to spine Health

Travntina1TTravntina1 Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi my name is Tina I have been in chronic back pain since Feb 20 2007 I remember this day cause not only was it the day that changed my life forever it was also my daughters birthday! I was a back seat passenger with no seat belt. We were hit from behind about 45 mph (we were at a dead stop) when we were hit we were then knocked into two other cars as well so I was like popcorn popping in the back seat. I had a ruptured disc from the accident. After lots of physical therapy, pain pills, and chiropractic care I was finally referred to a Neurosurgeon it was he who found out I had a ruptured disc along with nerve damage to my Lower spine. He referred me out to a Orthopaedic surgeon who took one look at my MRI and stated that I needed a fusion at L4 L5 I was scared I left his office thinking I am going to do everything in my power to make this pain go away with out surgery the thought of some one cutting on my back was not an option in my book!! NO WAY!! Well 2 yrs went by and the pain was starting to get so bad I was having a hard time doing simple tasks around the house going to work ect. I finally gave in and scheduled my surgery. July 2009 I went in and had the fusion done post surgery was the most excrusiating pain I had ever experienced (even worse than natural child birth) He assured me everything would get better!!! Well here I am almost 2 year post surgery and I continue to get worse everyday simple things like dishes laundry vaccuuming and driving are so debilitating I can barely get through. I have been on a long list of pain pills that I have had no luck with I am now taking percocet 10/325 2 prn 4-6 hrs. It seems to take the edge off but not for long. In the approx 2 yr post op I have had several different kinds of injections, spinal stimulators, physical therapy and aqua therapy and unfortunately have had NO relief at all. The depression is now starting to set in with the fact that I can no longer do the things I used to do and no matter how hard I try I am not going to be able to as well!! I have four wondrful children two are grown and out of the house but I still have 2 here and I think that my 10 yr old suffers the worst. She does not understand what is happening to her mommy why there are days she can not get out of bed. Do things with her. Go outside and jump on the trampoline with her ride ect..... My primary Dr is sending me to a pain manangement dr. she has sent over my record and he will be calling me with an appointment as soon as he goes over everything. I have not given up the fight yet however I am beginning to think that there is no light at the end of the tunnel I am 38 yrs old and it is hard for me to comprehend that this could be the end of life as I knew it. I have tried to stay possitive but no matter what I avoid doing the pain is still there rearing its ugly head every morning when I wake up. I am greatful everyday that I have found this site. Not only are the people here in the forums a god send, I also spend alot of time in the chat. It is so good to see that I am not alone and they treat me with dignity and respect and understand what I am going through and do their best to keep my chin up. AND I THANK YOU FOR THAT. I have never been really religious but I do believe the people on here are gifts from heaven and are my guardian angels that have been sent to save me. Just when I thought I could not take one more day of this I found all of you here and I am greatful. So for all of you newbies (newer than me) This site is well worth your time spent. I am living proof.

Thank you so much to all of my guardian angels for if it not for you I do not know where I would be today!!

• I see that you have been a member for about 6 weeks, I want to welcome you here to spine-health. I agree with you that the members here are a godsend. I don't know what I would do without them. They are full of knowledge and so caring and supportive. I am sorry that you are still in so much pain post fusion.
    That is great that you are going to go to pain management. I hope that they will be able to help you to get your pain under control.
    Wishing you all the best.
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hello, My name is matt and I have a L4-L5 extrusion with various symtopms including permanant nerve damage. I have a family histroy of addiction and it scares me to death to think of having surgerey and being on pain pills. To make things worse, I am a firefighter who is at risk for being injured again. I am on a mental and physical rollercoaster that leads me down two tracks , both I do not want to take. Track 1; resign from my job assure that I am healthy for my kids but lose my career and finicial security. Track #2 stay on the job and inevitabily hurt it again and risk addiction that I see so many people suffer from while risking not getting back to my normal lifestyle!!!! I feel like I got "god smacked" (respectfully)
  • hiya Tina,
    we met already in chat...the forums and this site are full of great info for sure....
    i'm lucky i found this great site also and chat i've found alot of good ppl there....and made some good friends.
    Take one day at a time and keep your mind positive
    its hard to face our new lives and it sure takes along time...i'm still working on that myself..
    I have found making small lists of things i can do daily helps me..
    and i pray alot...
    and i try my best to help just one person a day in any way i can...i used to do so very much for alot of ppl..
    I barely get to get up somedays..but on those bad days i give myself a time out...movie day or such...
    I try anything to get my mind off this aweful pain..

The hardest part for me is getting my family to understand the person i was is long gone and not coming back...so for them its hard to get it...
    and friends i've lost mostly all of them..but i guess they were not really good friends after all if they can't be here for me in bad times they not worth having in good times..
    chat soon and hang in there you got all of us
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.