Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd Thoracic SCS trial is scheduled

itsjackieohiitsjackieoh Posts: 111
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hi again my fellow Spineys

This is the new thread I mentioned I would start after my consultation with my new NS for a Thoracic SCS. My first thread is in this section of the forum titled "Thoracic trial Scheduled for 10/19".

I so appreciated the support that I got here before during and after my first trial. I have spent this past weekend reading through many of the threads in this section...all the success stories, the questions, the issues that arise if a trial fails. I tell my family how incredibly helpful it is to have this forum accessible.

Then there are the amazing women who have reached out to me personally, who I have formed friendships with that are a huge part of feeling normal at one of the most challenging times in my life.

I have another trial scheduled for February 2nd, that will last a full 8 days. My consultation was on the 20th, and I have been going back and forth from being nervous to excited, actually very excited! Oh my gosh, to think that the horrendous Thoracic disc and radiating nerve pain might be tamed is just an amazing thing.

The trial I am having will be done as a tunnel lead placement. The percutaneous lead will be placed through an incision rather than a puncture. If the trial is successful the lead will remain and my permanent battery will be placed and attached to the lead. I will be under anesthesia for both surgeries which I am incredibly relieved about. I was barely able to lay face down on the table for my first trial.

• Good luck Jackie :)

I am happy to see you are getting this done. What level are they aiming for?

Do you have numbness in your thoracic spine as well as pain? I can't remember your details.

• Good luck, Jackie! When your mind starts questioning "what if this doesn't work?" switch it around and focus on what might happen if this DOES work.

• This is such an exciting time for me and I don't want to waste my precious time questioning.

ulie I have been dealing with the thoracic dis and nerve pain since July of last year. T 6-7 is ruptured, I have some tingling and no numbness. The lead will be pretty high up on me...

• I hope and prey this works out for you. Always think positive! I just know it's gonna work coz I want this so much for you. You have suffered long enough already.
    Sending positive thoughts and a gentle hig your way.
    Wat the devil is a hig??? I betcha I meant to type hug.LOL
    Patsy W
  • I wish you the best of luck with the trial and your permant one will make you a new woman again. Im still trying to reach you on skype. I leave mine on 24/7, and its easy for me to recharge every eveniing or everyother day, and that only takes about 1 hour, so I do it while watching tv, or I can unplug the charger put in in my pocket and do housework or what ever. I went for a new programming, and when she turned it off it was so weird, Its like a drug, I have to have it on all the time, b/c of the relief it gives me I hope it will do the same for you. One the PNS for L4/5/S1 only 1 side is working, and they cant get the other side to work and it only spreads about 1" on the left it should spread about 4 to 5 inches on all sides, so I will have a differant person to try and reprogram it, she is the head of this regeion, but they have the legs high enough to help with my lower back pain. I LOVE IT, I wish the doctors had done this years ago instead of saying fuse first. I asked both PM and NS about future fusing, and they said many times they leave the leads inplace since that not where they would be working. I have no intentions of fusing, I just asked the question, since it was mentiond that had to be done first. good luck my friend, I hope we can SKYPE soon!!! Rose
  • I had a great conversation with both my rep and my anesthesiologist yesterday at my pre op appointment. I will be comfortable during this surgery, unlike the first trial.
    I am so please we are doing the anchored tunnel leads. It makes sense to me to implant leads that will be permanent if all goes well. I didn't know this was an option!
    Rose please keep us posted on how the meeting with he regional rep goes. I really hope that there is a setting that gives you all the coverage you need.

• Tomorrow is the big day!! I know you are both nervous and excited.

Like you I have made some wonderful friends here, you included. You know we are all rooting for you.

I have an appointment with my Neurosurgeon in the morning but I will be thinking of you.

I sincerely hope this works for you as it has for so many others.

Patsy W :H
  • Sorry Jackie......I have my days mixed up!! It is not tomorrow but Wed. you have your implant.

For some reason I have been thinking both our appointments were on the same day. But mine is on the 1st not the 2nd.

All our thoughts and prayers will be with you.

• We are leaving at 5:30am, so we should be ahead of traffic.My surgery is at 8:45am.
    I just hope the nerve that is causing the pain to wrap around into my chest wall does not get damaged during this procedure, and that the surgeon can get the thoracic pain covered.
    Okay, I am going to take a nice bath and relax...
    I REALLY appreciate all of the support. I can't tell you how much it helps me to know that you are cheering me on.
    >:D< >:D< >:D<

• Thanks for all of the support! I need it now more than ever...

Both my NS andI knew this was a possibility, and was the reason we were doing another trial, and not the paddle lead placement that I was referred to him for by my pain doctor.

There is stenosis at the level of pain T 6-7, and the lead placement did not happen because of the pain this causes. The surgeon entered through an incision at T 10-11. The lead went in and touched the nerve at T 6-7 and it was over.

I am having some mixed feelings of sadness mixed with extreme relief that we did another trial and not an implant!

The good news is that I have better pain control for both the ongoing lumbar and thoracic pain with oral medication. I had a small but effective increase in my medications about a week before my trial was scheduled. I am one of the folks who had a decrease in pain control with the reformulation of Oxycontin.

My goal was to not have to rely on medications as much and have the added benefit of the endorphin release that neurostim offered me in my first trial.

I am going to lay down and ice my sore back now...

• I am so happy you did the second trial but am sorry about the way it ended.

At least you are now getting better pain relief with the increase in your oral meds. That is a blessing.

Yes indeed, get some rest and ice that sore back.

Cheers :H
    Patsy W