Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lidoderm dosage

jeaniijjeanii Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Pain Medications
Hi everyone.
I have read that some of you cut your Lidoderm patches into a few pieces. My patch is 5% so if I only use half of the patch am I only getting 2 1/2% of the dose? If I use the 3 per day that is prescribed, then would I be getting 15%?
Sorry if this question seems stupid, but they are so expensive and I am trying to stretch out my prescription renewals.
Thanks in advance.

• Jeanii,

My total guess would be you are understanding the dose correctly. I'm allowed 3 a day - and as such my body would be exposed max to 15%. I too cut them up to spread the wealth as they say!

Hopefully someone will come in that "knows" verses like me, using logic is assuming as you are. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Welcome to spine health.

Good question! I hadn't ever thought of it that way! I cut mine in half to make them last longer too but if your reasoning is correct (makes sense to me) wouldn't they help more if I used the whole thing? Hmmm :?

I'm with Brenda...hopefully someone who "knows" will come along.

Again, welcome.

• i was told by my doc that i could cut them in smaller sizes. witch i did. i asked my pharmacist she say i could. and i could use them in up to three different places at the same time ,but like the directions say only for 12hr on and 12 off.
    i only wanted them to last longer.i found that i could cut them in 3 or 4 pieces and could not tell much difference in the way or how long it worked ,just not more than 3 pieces at a time the pharmacist say and 12hr on 12hr off no more pieces and no longer time.she say it did not mater if i used the hole patch or pieces of one. my body would absorb the same amount no mater how big the piece is, and the patch dose not run out of lidocane at 12hr just my body will overdose on lidocane if i left it on longer ,no more than 3 pieces at once.Lidoderm dose have a web page with a lot of info. i had a allergic reaction to the patch adhesive (skin rash allover and skin pealing off)i can not use any patches ever again.doc called it SJS
    i liked the way i could put the patch right wear the pain was and within a few min the outside pain would be almost gone.
    you should ask your pharmacist about the dosage , i was told and it say on the box you can use up 3 patches at 1 time for 12 hr. i don't know the % of lidocane dose but you make sense.
  • I have used lidoderm patches and like most of you, 3 is the limit, but you can cut them to place them where you need them. I never thought of getting 1/2 the dose, I figured the entire patch had equal med on it but that by using half/quarters/etc I could use less and/or place them where the most pain was each day. In my case, it was divided between my legs and back. They were good to relieve some of the pain sometimes. That's a good question, check with your pharmacist or dr for advice.Boy, they are expensive and after my last surgery the dr didn't want me to use them for quite awhile so one box expired! Argh! Good luck with your patches! I hope they bring you relief.