Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 weeks post op PLIF

benfishin2daybbenfishin2day Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm new to the board .. been surfing it for a while. I am going on 6 weeks since my PLIF.. I have 2 incisions about 2" long on right & left side of spine. Both sides were decompressed & bone replaced with allograft & BMP on both sides & pedicle screws at L5 & S1. My original complaint was on my right side. About 2 weeks after I got home I started having right hip pain,butt pain & the top of my right foot feels like I have a severe sunburn & I have stabbing pain under my big toenail. I had a MRI with contrast yesterday & will follow up with doctor on Feb. 1. I can only walk for about 30 minutes before my hip & butt pain get too painful. My question is ... is this just normal post op pain from back surgery???
I still can't sit in a regular chair... I have to recline on my left side on couch. My right side of back feels "tight & fuller" then left side.. when I touch my right side of back it sends shooting pain all the way to foot. Sorry for the long post...has this happened to any one else???
Thanks, Nan

• But I have four incisions in my back that are still tender. I have had alot of muscle knotting and spasm issues that have caused pain first in my back and then as I increased my walking in my butt, hip and down my leg. At physical therapy last week that is all the therapist worked on and it helped alot but I still have the pain and can't lay on that side either as it is very tender. Moist heat and the stretching she taught me is helping.

I definitely still have the nerve pain and numbness in that leg and foot that was my main reason for the surgery, but am optimistic that will resolve in time.

Tomorrow is my 6 week post op appt and I am looking forward to seeing the surgeon for the first time since the surgery so I can find out exactly what I have had done in there and what his prognosis is.
  • I switched from walking on the track to walking in the water and that was the smartest thing I did since surgery (I won't tell you the dumbest:) It has really decreased the pain levels in both my back and legs and I can do it longer and more often, which will hopefully help me fuse better and faster.

• I guess that I am one of the extremely fortunate ones. I had L4-L5 and S1 plif and have had no pain whatsoever following surgery except for a little soreness and stiffness in the morning after getting out of bed. I was in almost constant extreme pain prior to surgery.