Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question about seeing SSD doctor for physical exam

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I have an appointment with a doctor Monday for a physical exam. The letter sent to me my SSD indicated it was for a "physical medicine exam". I filed for disability October 1, 2010. Is this a good or bad sign in getting approved?
I submitted extensive medical records when filed, including MRI, physical therapy records and pain management records from my 3 doctors. I am 55 years old and worked at same company for 38 years. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with the exam or if this will improve my chances.

Degenerative disc disease
Herinated disc L5 S1
Arthritis on spine & hips

• Dont worry about physical medicine exam It will help
    Just don't be late or miss it. And keep sending in any new Dr report. The more medical report the better your chances. I was approve the first time.
    Here hoping you the best

And yes you have a great chance for beeing approved
  • JULIE3075JJULIE3075 MICHIGANPosts: 6
    Thank you so much for your reply. I needed it! I am hoping for the best.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I too had an examination last Fall.

The letter from SS told me to bring a list of my medications. Check the letter and see what it requires. Some in the waiting room had x-rays with them as their letter required it.

Also, when you receive the appointment notification letter it comes with a form you can complete and return to SS to indicate which of your doctors you would like to receive a copy of the exam report. I chose my PCP since I was due to see him soon and he's a constant in my treatment over the years. My PCP asked what he should do with it and I told him to hold it. Once I knew the report was done I called my PCP and went to pick up a copy of the SS exam report.

I applied for SS in 8/2010. SS exam 10/15/10 and the report was ready for me to pick up at my PCP 12/15/10. I was denied, but that didn't worry me as majority are denied on first application. So my attorney then filed for reconsideration end of Dec 2010. Still waiting for that outcome.

I have a long surgical history and the doctor was confused about much of it. I should have brought the excel sheet record I have of all my doctors, surgeries, and medications. I changed PM and spine docs in 2009 and have a series of knee and back surgeries that he confused.. In fact the spreadsheet had been provided to SS. So it may have been in the file but the SS exam took all of 15 minutes and he may not have looked for it. Had I handed it to him maybe he'd have had a better understanding. Though his results said I had severe impairments. Complicating factor was he checked a box on the exam report saying I had no lifting restrictions where on page 1 he said I did. Unfortunately I can't ask him to alter the report, once it's done SS considers it done and really doesn't care if there are mistakes.

My atty actually said they won't even address it in the reconsideration since it wasn't a good representation of my limitations.

So put together any quick summary of meds, current docs, prior docs in recent past, surgeries, etc. Make it brief. From what I hear many of these exams are less than 15 minutes and the docs miss stuff in doing the report. My doc seemed nice so I had hope that his report would help. It may help a bit if needed if I get denied at reconsideration (which I fully expect)
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • JULIE3075JJULIE3075 MICHIGANPosts: 6
    Thanks so much for your reply. Very useful information. My letter indicated to bring all my medications. I also talked to my examiner at SSA and asked if I should bring a copy of my MRI, and she replied "yes, that would be helpful". I have a list of all my doctors, MRI, physical therapy letter showing all my visits and also pain management records. I am taking everything with me, as I don't know what the doctor will ask for. I am saying my prayers and will keep you posted. Thanks again!