Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

10 month post-op

blazerblazer Posts: 785
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Had my 10 month appt. today, for a l4l5 / l5s1 tlif.

Had a CTscan last week, and my NS looked at it today, told me i'm fully fused at l4l5, but l5s1 is just now starting to show signs of fusing.
Why they dont fuse at the same rate, i have no idea, and i forgot to ask NS, but i go see him again in 2 months, and will ask then.
Also getting another CTscan in 6 months to check progress,and hoping it shows i'm fully fused at that time.

Wait and see.

• That is certainly great news. I have no idea why one level didnt fuse at same time. My first one fused at the same time, which was at the same levels you have. Just be happy to know it is fusing, although it is discouraging when you think you should be there already. Good Luck and keep us posted.
  • Thank you.

Yup, i'm glad that it's headed in the right direction. So thats a plus.

Reading your post's, and glad to see that you also seem to be on the right path to recovery.
    But you have been there before, so you already know what you can and cant do.

Take care.
  • really good news re fusing, at least the other one is underway, just being a bit slow

good luck with your next scan
    take care

• Glad to hear your appointment went well for the most part. *My* uneducated guess on the fusions? Different stress on each level, maybe the loading allows for a little movement as we heal, and the lower one moves a little more making fusion slower? Just a guess... Tell your back to keep up the good work!! *wink*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Very happy for you Jim!
  • Happy to hear your good news. Hope all continues to go well for you!!
  • Flower,Patti, and Donna, thank you very much.

Brenda, thank you and i was thinking the same thing. Guess i was'nt paying attention when the doctor said no BLT.

Got 6 months to work on that.

• Good job!

Now you just need to work at that lower level. ;)

Being fully fused at L4/L5 is great news.
    It is such good news to our ears after a fusion.

Keep it up Blazer (surgery twin)

How are you feeling these days?
    Are you back to full working hours?
    Any remaining symptoms?

I am back fully to my job, which involves bending, but I try not to do too much.
    I do still have various symptoms, but much improved on what I had before surgery.

Time to celebrate! <:P <:P <:P

• Hi surgery twin.
    Yup's i'm glad got 1 fused, now i have to work on the other.
    I still have my symptons and pain also. Regulary taking norco and neurotin.
    I wont be going back to work. I applied for SSD and was approved on the 1st try.
    But the downside is i have to get use to a whole new lifestyle.

Read that you were back to work, if i remember correctly you were teaching little one's. So be careful with all that bending. Are they willing to give you a teacher's aide.

Best of luck and take care.

• Hi Jim,

I am the teacher's aide!!!

I do find myself bending over children who are seated at low tables or sitting on those small chairs next to them.
    I do have a larger chair and a 'chair monitor' to move my chair to where I need it.
    The trouble is when you have a table of 6 to 8 children who all need help, it is easier to walk around them and bend to see what they are doing.
    I try to bend down onto one knee which keeps my back straight. Trouble is I am having trouble with my knees too!

Keep healing! :-)

• Seen my NS today, and he told me to get another CTscan in the last of june, for a 7/6/2011 appointment.
    Also stated if he dont see any more progress by then he will need to do another surgery where he comes in from the front and put's more bone it there and a metal plate on the front side of my l5/s1.
    He told me not to sign any paper's with my work comp. ins. co. yet.
    So it sounds like another surgery is a good possibility, unless i hurry up and heal.
  • not quite the good news that you were hoping for!!

I have found out in the last 10 days or so, that I am very low on levels of Vitamin D and calcium. That has made me wonder if that could have caused the delay in my fusion. Have you had your Vit D and calcium levels checked?

Quite a few of the symptoms that I am getting could be attributed to this deficiency. (Bone and muscle pain, tingling, pins and needles, twitching and cramping in extremities, fatigue, depression etc etc.) I am now taking a supplement and have been told that it will probably take 6-8 weeks to get the levels up. So I guess that if I am still having all the symptoms then, it is probably due to my neck, or thoracic, or lumbar spine.

I hope that the neurosurgeon I am STILL waiting to see will be good at solving puzzles.

I am due to have the 12 month follow up appointment with the surgeon who did my fusion, but as I am waiting for an MRI of the lumbar, I am waiting to have that before making the appointment.

What an interesting life us spineys lead!!

I really hope that you will manage to fuse at this lower level Blazer. Has your NS got any ideas to help things along?

Take very good care of yourself. :-)

• Happy Anniversary!
    Yup i read your earlier post and responded to it. Make sure you take the max. amounts you safely can, and hoping in 6 weeks that your levels are back to normal.
    Last time i had a complete blood work done was January 2009, and doctor told me all levels were where they are suppose to be.
    But yup's with age, we do need to supplement our levels that the body needs, and i know you and me are the same age, so i do take supplements.
    I take calicumn with vit.d, vitamins, 2 blood pressure meds, salmon oil, l-arginine, and norco, neurotin, and flexeril.
    I cant cook, so i'm not getting the proper intake from foods, thats why i make sure i get my daily intake thru pills.
    Good luck with getting your mri done, i suppose everywhere we live has it's good and bad, but i sympathize that over there the wait is so long to get in to se your doctor.

Anyway, NS just told me to stay the course, and if any new problems arise to call him.
    I have complete trust in my NS, so i'll do as he say's.

Are you still working? If so is there any kind of medical leave you can take, until your NS has some answers for ya.

Best of luck to ya, and keep us informed on what your NS say's.

• yes, I am still working. I am actually managing quite well at work, and having had 6 months off on full pay after my fusion surgery, I feel that I owe it to them to be there.

Also, because of all my neck symptoms, I am afraid that I might need to have more time off for that.

I am hoping to not have to wait too much longer to see this neurosurgeon. :S
  • Hip hip hooray! Keep on keeping on.