Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS implant

ChickinardCChickinard Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I got my SCS in July '10. At first, I felt like it helped some with the moderate pain. Not the severe hip and leg pain at all when it gets to the bad level. Now it doesn't seem to help at all. My Medtronic reps have worked relentlessly with me programming. I am getting the coverage. It just does not help. I got a hip injection thinking maybe it was joint pain and not neurological pain but it did nothing. I don't know what else to do.

• I'm so sorry you haven't gotten good results. Sometimes it may take a combination of treatments to get the best results. That's what I have found with my SCS. Hopefully your doctor will continue to seek a resolution for you.
  • That is a bummer and I too hope that something can be worked out for you. It is a strange feeling to have good coverage and yet not have it touch the pain. I have one area on my arm that is that way and it can be very frustrating. Everything around it feels great, just that one patch is not happy.

Don't let your doc give up on you. Stay determined, stay strong.

• Thank you for your encouragement. We have tried pain meds but they do not touch the pain. I had no success with Gabapentin before the SCS but maybe I should try that again. Is there any other combination I should consider?
  • I guess that is really up to you and your doctor, but I have been fortunate that my doctors have continued to try new things, including PT, epidural injections (last one a couple of months ago was successful), muscle relaxers (that helps), pain medication, anti-inflammatory meds, etc. Obviously we don't have our stimulators for the same reasons and I have developed new problems since my SCS was implanted over a year ago.

I am better right now than I have been in years, still having some bad days, but more good than bad right now. But I found that if one part of my treatment broke down (ran out of medication or SCS quit working, which did happen a couple of months ago), I was back to higher pain levels. This has been a long process to finally get to this point.