Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Did Too Much - OUCH :(

frenchfriffrenchfri Posts: 325
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I think I did too much. I have been feeling pretty good since my 2 level ACDF on 12/9/2010. I even thought about going back to work next week as long as I can drive without muscle spasms. We were running out of wood for the fireplace and our area was expecting another foot of snow. My son was getting wood from the pile in the back yard (there is still a good 8 - 10 inches of snow). He was using a tobaggon to drag it from the wood pile to the house then carrying it down into the basement. I wanted to help him, so I did. I tried to limit myself to the 5 pound limit but I failed miserably. I even shoveled a little bit. Now my neck is sore in the back probably by C7 and my lower back is sore. Probably lifted too much weight. I already took a hydrocodone which I haven't done for a long time. I guess boredom and the desire to help got the best of me. Hopefully I will only be sore for a day. I will not shovel any more.We are still suppose to get another 8-12 inches over night. YUCK !!

• Frenchfri,
    Try to be more careful and dont do that again! Seems like we all have to learn the hard way, and then discover we are not as well as we thought! ;)
    Just try to be careful and give it more time. Maybe pay the son for his help, and you wont feel guilty. :) I did the same thing last time, I remember it well, and learned from it. Take care of you and I hope it feels better soon!
  • Shoveling - at 9:30 he shoveled about 2 inches of small hail. Now 11:30 shoveling about 3 inches of snow. We are getting 2-3 inches an hour. I am bing good now. After I was bad before and shoveled, my girlfriend drove by and wouldn't leave until I put the shovel down and promised to go in, shower and put on my pj's. I did as i was told. Hopefully I won't be too sore in the morning. The snow is suppose to continue until 3 -4 am. Just heard the plow, hope they are doing a good job and getting close to the curb
  • I can certainly relate. I am 4 months post TLIF L3-4 and still have a 10# limit. I think I have overdone it alot and you think I would learn. At my 3 month check up PA said I was doing too much. I feel much better than I did before surgery but it is hard to not do things when you feel good. Take it easy and stay warm! Spring is coming!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    The quickest route to causing additional problems is overdoing things, not paying attention to all your limitations and restrictions.

Trust me, I know, I've done those things and I know it caused some serious problems and at least one additional lumbar surgery.

Any spinal surgery takes time to properly heal. You may feel good after a few months (forget a few weeks), and that is the time you need to pay the most attention.

Shoveling can be one of the most dangerous things for a spinal patient to do. Continue doing this and you just be in store for another spinal surgery
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi, you must live up in the northeast. They are getting slammed again.

Yup you need to taker easy doing that stuff, especially since you have a son who is old enough to do it for you.
    Sounds like sore muscles to me, do you have any muscle relaxers? If not try taking otc alleve, that works pretty good.
  • My son and husband did all of the real shoveling. I mainly pushed the hail/sleet that was very light. After that the snow was very heavy and I did not lift a finger. I do not want to have cervical surgery again. I will behave myself.
  • I live in NY and was slammed with 15 inches of snow with some sleet and hail mixed in. We are suppose to get a tiny bit on Friday and then more on Tuesday I think. This snow is also delaying my return to work as I do not want to drive in lousy conditions. I do have flexeril (muscle relaxer) and hydrocodone. I try to take both sparingly.