Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Numbness, not pain.

Big BobBBig Bob Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I am new here. I'm 58 yrs old. Back in '86 I was in an accident which caused me to get surgery on L5-S1 for a ruptured disc. Since then I have had fairly good luck with my back. I'd get pain once in a while from over working it and had 4-5 muscle spasm events over the years which were painful. Starting about 8 months ago I started to get numbness in my right leg. This would happen if I stood for long periods and also while walking. It has progressively gotten worse and is now also on the left side. My right foot burns and is numb often. Through an MRI I was diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis in the L3-L4 area and that disc looks good. The MRI, my first, showed the area I had surgery in, L5-S1 to be just a mess, but not causing me problems. I am not keen on having surgery on good looking discs. My nerve passage is genetically small and I d have some arthritic growth in the area. Again, NO PAIN just numbness. I had my first epidural in November and another one yesterday. Back in November the injection worked pretty fast with good results. I have not noticed any results from yesterday yet. I will have another injection next Tuesday.
My question: Does anyone else have just numbness and little or no pain from this? The numbness is from bottom of foot to the knee. I have not fallen down yet, but have come close. It also causes me to be somewhat spastic. I avoid stairs now if possible.

• Similar situation, but no surgery yet. I have 2 degenerative discs and lot of numbness, tingling, and hot/cold in the feet, but not much pain right now. Dr. appointment on Friday-I'll let you know what he says.
  • I am 10 weeks out from a L5S1 fusion with laminectomy and nerve decompression. I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis and spondylolisthesis. Prior to surgery I had intermittent tingling and numbness - more of an annoyance than anything. Since surgery i have constant tingling and numbness which has progressed to the point where I now need to take medication to control the symptoms. I have not been able to get much of a straight answer from my surgeon, but my therapist thinks that it may be scar tissue forming in the area or that the sciatic nerve is getting restricted due to muscle tightness. I am hoping as I am able to get those muscles to relax that I will see some improvement. Sorry that I can't really answer your question, but you are not alone. :)
  • Had Dr. appointment and one more epidural injection. Dr. said that disc and bone spurs are irritating the nerve and to live with it.
  • I was told a long time ago from my physical therapist that my numbness was worse then the pain because there was much more pressure being put on the nerve,enough to cause the numbness. Sounds to me like you need to talk to another doc. about this issue.
  • For a little bit I had no pain but it's starting to come back again. The thing that helped me with my numbing was an inversion table but if you've already had surgery before maybe it's not such a great idea. Ask your doctor anywyas?