Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Med ?

DC42DC42 Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Pain Management
Hello, I have had failed back surgery do to the scar tissue incasing the S1 nerve root. I have had constant pain in my back and much worse in my leg for 8 months. I have seen 2 spine drs, and my own dr. They all just say chronic back pain is hard to manage and gave me a nerve blocker(gabapentin). It doesn't seem to help much and I'm in pain 24/7. They sent me for a emg and ncs which both said I had problems in my leg coming from my back. Still I get no pain meds. I don't know what ones I should be on, but I do know that I should be on something. The pain never changes and it's all I can do to get through the day. What type of dr. should I see that can actually prescribe me pain meds because I'm on a downward spiral and about to give up. Also what type of meds work for nerve pain, is there a certain one I should ask for? Thanks

• Welcome to Spine Health.
    The gabapentins are very good for nerve pain for most people. Bur it does not always work for everyone. Have you told your Doctor it is not helping?

One thing you should never do is ask a Doctor for a pain medication by name. This will label you as a drug seeker. You do not want that label following you around.

What are you taking? Lyrica and Neurontin are two that come to mind. Perhaps you just need a higher dose, or just switch from one to the other.

There are steps all Doctor take when it comes to pain management. Starting a person out on a narcotic is not the first step but the last.

You could ask your Doctor to refer you to a Pain Management clinic. Do not expect any medications on your first visit. They will access your condetion first and then decide what steps to take in your treatment.

Good luck
    Patsy W
  • DC42,
    For the most part pain that is chronic and continue beyond acute should be managed with a “collective strategy” which is suggested as the most successful, part of that is medication and one might expect your doctor to have prescribed some for you. The key is to find what works for you, rather than others and the only way to do that is start off small and work towards improvement.

It is sometimes beneficial to see how treatments are working individually and if the nerve block has not been successful or provided what was expected within that timescale then a new alternative should be proposed.

It would not be unreasonable for you to ask how effective any specific medication would be in conjunction with your treatment and explain in a calm and constructive manner that this level of pain is impacting on you quality of life and what are your options now. Be clear that you understand what is proposed and what is being done for your treatment.

Make a record of your pain level and when, how you were feeling, any activity that makes the pain worse or better in not doing them, show that you are helping yourself.

Take care and good luck.