Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Medication Advice / Suggestions

Matt GreebMMatt Greeb Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Chronic Pain
OOOOOOOOOOOk. Here i go .

I received a back injury sept. 09 .It was not an immediate one like a car accident , but simply from being a working class grunt for 10 years and my back finally saying F*** You SIR!!!.

So my Injury:

3 Bulging discs , all minor starting L4 , L5 and one up higher. I have nerve damage at L5S1 going into both legs with no pain or real problems in my left leg and both pain and numbness coming a nd going in my right leg.

My Pain:

I have constant and fluctuation pain in my lower middle back going out to my right buttock . The pain in my back is a pressure , ache , weakness and throb feeling . Im a 27 year old (please dont tell me how young iam and shouldn't be so hurt so early . i hear it from ever RN ) and would say i have a higher pain tolerence then the average person. I boxed for a long time , i have had a lot of other injuries (nothing back) that put the average person down and away , but i walk right through them.

this is my worst pain and since pain is subjective ( iam the subject of objection) my 6 is the average person 8-10 . so its hard to tell people and be properly treated witha high pain tolerance.

injections :

4 standard epidural injections 1 facet joint injection . no relief beyond the fentynl and versed given before and the local that wears off 24 hours after.

LOTS of trial and errors.

Hydrocodone has worked the best @10mg better so then my current regiment of 20mg Oxycontin 2x and 10mg oxycodone 3x.

just taking 40mg total of hydrocodone worked better , however it was starting to give me a ringing in my ears and it was waning as far as my tolerance goes , also giving me and upset stomach (it wasnt the APAP).

I had a flare up a few weeks ago and spent almost a week in the hospital. I was on IV diluadid 2mg every 2 hours and 20mg of Oxycontin ever 12 . It seemed to work pretty well , but then they switched me over to the oral diluadid , naturally so i could continue the same treatment at home till i could see my PM doctor which was in 10 days.

so i got a regiment of 8mg of diluadid every 3 hours and 20mg of oxy ever 12 for 10 days.

DILUADID IS THE F$#@ING DEVIL. dont get me wrong , it worked the best yet , but i forgot alot , even at modified lower dosages . It was like my short term memory was shot.

so i begged my pm doctor to get off it when i saw him (this past monday ) now im on 20mg Oxycontin 2x daily and 10/325 Oxycontin 3x daily . Its simply not working.

I tried telling my doctor that oxycodone related products just dont seem to take care of my pain . I mean if i was looking to get high , sure , it works for that . But its not my intention .

Ive tried MS contin as well and that stuff was a joke at best .

So if there are any suggestions i can ask about for being on a long term ( which my condition is) pain management regiment , id appreciate it. Any kind of medications i can ask about , my doctor is pretty open .

• Ok, so you've tried injections and although you don't say, from the injections it sounds like you have a disc problem and facet issues as well. Do you also have stenosis?

What is the doctor's plan of action now - more injections or are they talking surgery? As we all know, medications are many times a part of our treatment, but usually doctors want to get to the root of the problem and deal with that so that hopefully we're not on pain medications the rest of our lives. So I'm wondering what they want to try next...

As for medications, maybe you'd benefit from the fentanyl patch. You said that the fentanyl worked well for you during the injections, so maybe that's something to explore.

I also hate dilaudid and only had to take it once. It does nothing for me. Zip, zero, zilch.

Anyway, good luck finding the right path with medications and treatment.

• Those RN's sure can be difficult to work with........

Anyway, a back is a back, and they can all be hurt at any age.

I am also wondering what your PMD's plan of care is. Does he plan to have you evaluated for surgery, or were you seen by a surgeon during your recent hospitalization.

There is really not too much more to do at this point except to place a call to your PM doc and explain to him that the Oxy is not controlling your pain.

I think that one of the moderators has posted a list of the usual medications in the "Pain Medication" forum.

I hope that helps,
    Donna, RN
  • I know its frustrating when your pain gets out of control. You'll have good days and bad, thats the name of the game.

From someone with years of back pain and surgeries under their belt, be careful with the medications. They help, and harm all at the same time.

I hope you find relief soon!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    The previous post has a problem.
    totallscrewd said:

From someone with years of back pain and surgeries under their belt, be careful with the medications. They help, and harm all at the same time.
    Pain medications are necessary for so many patients trying to get things under control.

For the thousands who have obtained a better quality of life vs those that became in harms way, you understand why and how you use your medications
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Ask about these. For me gabapentin (Neurontin) honestly works as well as hydrocodone. My symptoms are very similar to yours although much more recent in onset. Sometimes the atypical analgesics are better and from what you wrote, you've tried all kinds of narcotic analgesics at high doses. There is a syndrome of narcotic induced hyperalgesia, although I don't know much about it but seemingly can cause the pain to intensify. I have used a lot of tylenol (not above the recommended doses). Avoid hot baths, heating pads and use ice judiciously especially if the skin is numb, but ice is a good pain remedy. TENS unit, which can work amazingly well especially if you use 2 channels. If you have not tried TENS then it is definitely worth a try. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.