Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello all,
I read many times the "with hardware" expression.
Could anyone help me on that and explain what does it mean..
I am trying to build my knowledge.

Thank you.

• It is what people call the screws, rods, plates, cages etc that the surgeons use to hold you together in sugery. Hope this helps
  • Thank you for explaining.

By reading "with hardware", I had understood that some ACDF would be made without and others with hardware, but this seems not be possible. Right!

When reading ACDF it seems implicit to me "with hardware", because at least a plate to hold the vertebrae together and screws are required. Right! (I cannot find my question marks in this notebook). Sorry and thanks again.

• Hardware refers to the metal in us. The screws rods cages and anything else metal they use.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    My Avatar (little picture)should explain what is meant by hardware.

I have an anterior plate, cage, posterior rods and 12 screws. All easily seen.

Best of health to you,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I always remember how anxious I was to try traction and the good advises I got. Hopefully I listened to you all. Hope you are well these days.
    Always thank you. Fresh.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Please becareful as we are not qualified to provide advice(s) ... at best we share our experiences or opinions. Advice and course of treatment should always come from your qualified healthcare provider(s).

Maybe take our comments into consideration .... but LISTEN to you doctor(s)(maybe armed with some additional good questions or points of view). Those we do openly share - but are unqualified to provide advice.

This issue can not be stressed enough ... It is for your own benefit as well as the protection and ingregity of this site.

Thank you for your concern about how I am doing .... alls I can say is if issues were tissues ..... I'd have a boxfull! I have joined that ranks of the backies also and have developed additional adjacent disc disease above all my lovely harware.

Please keep us posted on your doctors advised next steps - and the best of results, pain relief, and long term outcomes humanly possible for you!

Warmest regards,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Like Dave, I am another example, but with two different sets of hardware - from the same surgeon of all things! Like Dave, I have issues now above and below and too a cracked vertebra between the fusions.

You might see on here where 'said person' has their hardware removed. Please keep in mind that they have ways of testing to be SURE the hardware *is* causing the new pain. Otherwise, what we get......we keep! :)

My next surgery, Dave and I might be twins, but I might have one level more, if so, I hope it looks as neat as his! Sorry Dave, yours is nice compared to mine! (G)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Brenda
    You might be - yes - twins as you said.
    Since I started with S&H I have had the chance to read many of your and Dave's comments to many like me, beginners, have 1.000 questions.
    They all (your comments) go in the same direction of trying to help and inform.

Hope this find you both well!!!!

• Howdy back to ya Fresh!

You're basically in the position most all of us where at one time with this stuff. Believe me, I too have questions as things change. That is one of the things I LOVE about this site, *someone* normally "has been there, done that, and still has the shirt" as they say! (G) Happy to help. I hope you're having a great start to your week. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.