Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain log

Pain_is_mePPain_is_me Posts: 69
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Chronic Pain
I have an appointment to see my GP on Feb. 7. It seems she is finally ready to start talking about treatment options. Her receptionist called me last week because they got the report that I went to a walk-in clinic for prescriptions cause mine ran out. I felt like a bad kid that got caught but I just explained that it was the holidays, my meds ran out and I knew I couldn't get in to see her for at least 2 weeks. I can't go that long without meds, I can't go a day.

Anyway, I thought I would keep a pain log so I can show her what my days are like. I have created a spreadsheet with space for the date and time, the pain level and a comment section to enter what I am doing or when I take medication. Has anyone else kept a pain log? How did you do it? So far I am just randomly making entries as I think of it during the day. About 6 entries a day is my average. Is there anything else I should include? I'm hoping by seeing a record of my pain over about a 2 week period she will finally take me seriously.

So far I have noticed that my pain is around a 6 most of the time. It will decrease to a 4 after my medication but only for about 4 hours - my medication is only every 12 hrs unless I take the T3s which I hate. If I do anything like get up to prepare supper, do dishes or go to the store it will increase to a 7-8 at least. Level 4-6 is while I'm lying down during the day doing nothing but working on my laptop. I hope this works - I'd appreciate any input.

• I think there are some on here that do keep a pain log. I keep a journal. I use to write every day, but now I write at least once a week, more oftenif anything significant happens. I make a lot of notes on the day I do see my doc, so I can remember what was duscussed.
    I have a copy of the facial pain scale (it is used a lot for pediatric patiens) and I do note my pain level whenever I do make an entry. I feel like my pain level documentation is more consistant since I actually look at the pictures before documenting how I feel.
    Hope that helps,
  • Howdy Pain_is_me,

I am one that keeps a pain log. Do I write in it every day? No. I have in it for the header my main complaints/symptoms, then I add when there are changes. What kind of changes? Sleep patterns, headaches, body position change (induces new pain), if medications are working worse or better, mood, and too what activities are affected or limited due to the pain intruding into it.

The key is not just the pain, but how it affects your daily activities and life. Also "kind" of pain. Is is joint, muscular, mechanical, or nerve (burning etc.). I might go weeks with no inputs to it, then bing, "this or that" caused a new issue, and I put it in there, as I do not know what is the item that brings to light what is going on with me at that time. Just my thoughts....

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought about the 'kind' of pain but I know that is important. I use my 'comments' section like a journal to write details about my day at different intervals. As this is the first pain log I'm doing and need to justify my pain to my doctor I thought I should make entries every day for a while. I won't keep it up permanently as I find it quite depressing actually. I'd rather not have to put so much thought into my pain.
  • Nodding Pain,

In the beginning it is good to log things daily. It helps the doctor to "see" your day to day world and understand you better. As to pain logging being depressing, pain in itself is depressing. Coping and adjusting to it is the key then. Hopefully soon they will have a game plan that helps ease yours. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I use pain logs on a regular basis. For the most part it is a tool to help the doctor and me have a better game plan as to how to treat the pain. However, I don't think it should be used a tool to justify your pain. Keep in mind pain is subjective and there is no real means by which a doctor knows your 6 from my 6. What is important is what they find on the physical exams along with any testing they have ordered. My logs are based more on what helps the pain versus just focusing on when I feel more or worse pain. If I only focused on the times when the pain is at it's worse it would indeed become depressive. I also try to not focus on what I can't do any longer but rather what I can do. Just one of my many ways to stay above the depression one can get into dealing with chronic pain.
This discussion has been closed.