Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back to work

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Good News
Well, I finally found a job after two years of searching, with a break for TLIF surgery in 2010. I was laid off on Feb. 2, 2009 and am starting my new job on Feb. 2, 2011.

As it turns out, it's a great situation. I'm going back to work for a company I used to work for about 12 years ago (in a different position) and am lucky enough that when you go back, you pick up seniority where you left off when you left. So, because I was there for five years, I begin with four weeks of vacation. Not bad at all.

Then, there's great health insurance for hubby and me at a very reasonable rate, STD, company-paid LTD, a profit-sharing retirement plan, 401K and 11 holidays. It's about 15 minutes from my house and the hours for everyone are only 7.5 hours a day, but paid for 8. They also offer flex hours, so I can choose what hours I want to work, probably 7 to 3. The area I'll be working in also has nothing but windows that overlook a golf course.

Because few people leave, I still know a lot of the people that work there so I'm not going somewhere where I don't know anyone. In fact, one of my best friends works there and she's the one who referred me - so she gets $300 because I got hired.

The work itself is going to require some lifting (luckily not as much as the job description said), but my surgeon said my lumbar is completely stable and to wear my post-op brace when I have to lift something to protect the levels above and below my fusion. The lifting won't make the problems in my cervical any worse. The job also includes moving and sitting, which I can pick and choose when I do what - it's part computer work and part moving around.

I'm very excited to be back in the workforce, going back to this company, and plan to grow the position to a higher level, so I have a lot to do. I've grown so sick of being at home - it's not like I've been able to go out and do a bunch of fun shopping, no money for that. But I can now afford to get injections in my cervical area and see if they make me feel better.

So, I just wanted share my good news with my spiney friends. I'm ready for the pain that I'll be experiencing the first few weeks to a month as I get used to my new job, but it'll be worth it. I feel like I've been blessed with this opportunity and am anxious to get back to the land of the living.

Please excuse me if I'm not around as much as I have been, it might be difficult for me to get on here much as I get used to the new routine and deal with the repercussions of the new work and schedule.

Thanks for listening - I'm just very excited.

• WOW...That is GREAT news Cathy!! =D> I am so happy for you.
    Patsy W

• That is great news Cathie :D

It sounds like an ideal job.

Do be careful with that lifting though!
  • Almost sounds like my job....and that's why I stay.

I get paid far more than I can make elsewhere and do far less than I did in my old jobs, which sometimes is a blessing and sometimes a curse!

Have fun, I don't get to see a golf course from here.
    I do get some daylight coming down the hall so I leave my door open!
  • So happy for you! Sounds ideal for you if you don't lift anything heavy and don't twist ever..Great to get your seniority and holidays back. I need a job like this where you can sit and move around a bit. Good to hear. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Cathie,

I love when GOOD things happen to GOOD people! Since you've worked there before, at least for the most part, you know what activities to expect, and that it is within what your body will allow. Congrats!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I start tomorrow and am a bit nervous. Why? Heck, I don't know - I suppose it's the unknown. But it's mixed in with a little excitement, too.

I'm sure going to miss my little Wally every day, though. I'll have to take a picture of him to put on my desk.
  • Thats great news.

Happy for ya, just taker easy, it's not just your spine, but your whole body that has to get use to the daily grind.

Sounds like a great deal, so best of luck to you.
  • Good for you Cathie.

Give it time and watch your pace. As long as you don't let the transition get you down you'll be fine. Sounds like a great company and benefits. I have all the ones you listed also and work for an awesome company. They are not that easy to find these days.
  • Cathie,

Kind of like "1st day back to school" after summer vacation feeling? (G) Still all sounds really great for ya! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm so very pleased for you!!! You're such a great person and you deserve this dose of happiness!

I hope that you can tolerate the job well and that you don't have a lot of extra pain while getting used to it. I'm sure it will be very tiresome for a while but I know that mentally you will be so happy. I know Wally will miss you too.

Best of luck my friend. I'll be thinking of you.
  • That is awesome!! The best news. I'm so jealous.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I wish you the best of luck with your new job!!!!
    Thinking of you today on your first day back at work. I hope that it goes well. >:D<

• So happy for you! I haven't been on the boards as much lately, trying to start my own on-line business/store (handmade beaded jewelry) and have had to learn to use my digital camera and and set up my shop. Very time consuming because I was pretty behind in my PC skills!

Needless to say when I checked in today and saw your post I was so happy for you :) It sounds like a great package, good luck!

Take care,

• Best of luck at your new job! Stay warm, and be careful. Take care of yourself, and keep us posted.
  • thats fantastic news, wally will miss you too

good luck and ease into it carefully
  • Cathie,
    YOU ! have worked very hard is getting back to work and never given up the hope or reality of returning to work, for those who are capable this is a fantastic objective. Although I went back to work to a non physical occupation, it is not that my pain is any less which makes working possible and am more resilient and determined having endure many years at home.

Many here manage pain every day and that trait itself is more than sufficient to having the capacity to work, with the right help and support many patients have the potential to return to work, it is a great sadness that all our skills knowledge and experience is going underutilised in the working environment for the want of employer

Jobs conducive to our ongoing pain are not easy to find and the working model is not sufficiently flexible to allow us those daily hours of adequate physical capability.

Cathie, this is the start of the new you it will help, it distracts us for the pain itself and improves how good we feel about ourselves, The emotion of starting work again for me was overwhelming some release of all that anxiety of wondering about the future and if my medical retirement at 35 was the peak of a eventful career.

Good luck to you, pace well and give yourself time to adjust to working again and constant pain.

Take care and well done.

Thinking of you this evening and hoping your week went well. I hope you can take the weekend to rest up. I know you must be very tired. Hope you aren't having a lot of pain.

• I'll update tomorrow. I'm wiped out tonight and am going to order Chinese food. Tough week.

• I know you must be exhausted and hopefully not too sore, but you did it! Your return to work has been a dream for quite a while and you have done it. Well done! =D>

I hope that you can have a relaxing weekend to get ready for next week.
    It will get easier and less exhausting as your body gets used to it.

We are longing to hear how you got on. :-)

• Hey Cath111 - sent you a PM wondering how you were doing and then found this post - must have missed it - so excited for you! Sounds like a dream come true to go back to a company you once worked for and pick up that seniority. My company is in the process of laying off - no idea if I have a job when I return - fingers crossed! This whole ordeal though taught me there is more than just the job so if it happens it happens .. Good luck and I hope you were not too sore or crazy the 1st week since by now you have already started .. hope all works out - keep us posted!

• How are you getting on? :-)
  • Hey Cathie!!! Congrats!! I'm so happy for you, I know you've waited so long for this. Sorry I'm just getting to this now, I haven't been on much lately, and am now sorry I haven't been! Great news, and congrats again. How's it going?
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Just like Kelly, I just saw this post. I am so happy for you, you sound very excited. How is going now that you are in your third week? So wonderful that you were able to get back on with a company that you were with before and could keep your senioity.
    Wishing you all the best...well done!
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012