Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

foraminal stenosis, bulging discs, or

cathleenccathleen Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in New Member Introductions
I am new to my diagnosis as well as this site. I have a lot of pain. I am waiting on approval from my insurance to do an MRI. Doctors want to do a spinal epidural now. Please explain what that entails. Can I get some medication relief before the epidural? What is typically done in my situation?

• Personally, I would not allow an epidural to be done before an MRI. I really am surprised about this. Maybe others here have heard of that being done.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. i have had many epidurals done prior to ever being able to have my MRI approved.. doctors have the tools to look inside of your back as they are doing the procedure and under a qualified doctor's hands, i never had any problems... i would say this is best left up to your doctor to decide.. please go to the top of the page under "Treatments" and then look under "Injections." this should give you a good explanation of what an epidural is.. good luck to you!and stop by anytime! we have videos on the subject as well. Jenny :)
  • First let me say welcome to spine-health. Look around and you will find many whom have done a epidural and some more than once. The only thing I question is without the MRI what level does the doctor know they are targeting? I have had a epidural before but only after the diseased level was confirmed by MRI imaging. What types of images have they done already? What level of your spine are they proposing to do a epidural in?

Once again welcome to spine-health. Keep us posted on how you do if you decide to do the epidural and keep us posted should you not decide to do the epidural.
  • Thank you for your comment marirlpn. I think I want to wait for the MRI before the epidural, just means waiting in pain a little longer. Cathleen
  • Thank you for your reply lulusheart. May I ask what do you have going on with your back? I just received this diagnosis couple days ago. I am in pain, but I think I will wait for the MRI before the epidural, just in case. It just means waiting in pain a little longer. cathleen
  • Thank you tamtam for your reply. They showed me an old MRI from way back, and image of a space in my spine that's getting squeezed. Sorry I don't know the terminology, I'm very new at all this. Which is why I joined this forum. They are targeting the lower back, center and left above the hip. They gave me Medol, but I have severe bad reactions to steroids so I stopped. cathleen
  • Cathleen,

When you go back to see the doctor the next go around, there is a article in the FAQ section at the top of the page, that you might find helpful. You don't need to know everything about the spine, just some of the basics so you can then ask questions and learn what they know. Also in my experience it is always better to take someone with you so you can have two sets of ears. But be sure to prepare a list of questions ahead of time so your prepared for the meeting and understand what the doctor is telling you. keep us posted on how you get along.
  • Good idea about bringing someone, and I will look at the articles on this site. I will keep you posted on what happens. Thanks again, cathleen