Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cathleenccathleen Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Lower Back Pain
What medicine is in the epidural they put into your spine?

• Here is a lot of information on all types of injections. I'm not a fast typer, so this is easier for me. Welcome to Spine-health Cathleen, I hope you like it here.

• I had an epidural back in February 2009 and it made my pain alot worse so I hope things work out better for you.
  • Welcome to our site. Hope you read the information Robin indicated is on here. Some people have excellent results, others no results from these injections. I do hope they help you.

Best wishes,

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.there is alot of good information avaliable here on the site.. videos as well!! please have a good look around and make yourself at home.. good luck! Jenny
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. It is best to read about the procedure via the articles here. They're excellent references as to what happens, what they do, etc.

I had an ESI in my lumbar spine and it, along with a 5-day medrol pack, worked wonders. Unfortunately, I also had stenosis, facet problems and spondylolisthesis in addition to a bulging disc, so the injection worked for the disc bulge and its symptoms, just not the other stuff.

It's really not a big deal - the prep before and the waiting afterwards are about 5 times longer than the procedure itself and I found mine to not be painful. But they put a local anesthetic where the needles went in and some people get a light sedation, as being wide awake isn't always necessary for an ESI. There should also be nurses in the room with you talking to you, asking if you're ok during the procedure and basically keeping you from freaking. They're very comforting, if you have them. Sometimes they even give you a stress ball to squeeze in case you have pain and need it. :-)

Take care and please keep us posted. I wish you luck on your procedure.
  • Steroids for the most part.

They are long lasting/acting. Listed as "depot drugs" because of that.

Typically after your doc has tried something like Prednisone, short duration, taken orally. Good for about a week to see if an improvement occurs. The next level would be an ESI.

There are other chemicals used but they all seem to tie back into the steroid family.

Look up Prednisone, Kenalog, Costisone to get an idea.
This discussion has been closed.