Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdisectomy Surgery..Question

Doug TDDoug T Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:50 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I posted this in another forum but I probably should have posted here:

I had surgery to repair a herniated disk between L5 and S1 about 8 weeks ago. It was causing sciatic nerve numbness down left leg and of course excrutiating pain. The surgery was a success and I was immeditaley pain free and off meds!

I have done light walking outside (when weather permits) and occasionally use the eliptical (without arms) as my exercise. But thats all I have done. My chiripractor is urging me to do more spinal decompression to heal bone scar tissue and wants to set me up on an exercise, stretching, and therapy program. Problem is, I can't afford any visits at $50 a pop because of my mounting surgery bills.

My question is-can someone with a similar surgery history prescribe a general exercise/therapy program? I have researched all over the internet but you never know what sites are safe and accurate, and I found this site realizing there is someone here that has been through the same ordeal.

Thank you for any direction you can shove me in.
Sincerely,
Doug T
advertisement

Comments

• I can recommend one. Stay out of your chiro's office. Go ask your surgeon about it. Mine wanted me nowhere near a chiro. The 2nd surgeon who did my fusion had the same opinion. Both said not for a year. That is an ortho and neuro opinion.

If your surgeon says ok then go for it. I went to PT and did basic stretching exercises and core strength ones after both microdiscectomy and fusion. That's it. The rest was all walking. Many walking sessions as opposed to 1 long one.

Be careful with what you do after a micro. People mess those up far too often from getting aggressive. 3-6 months of nothing but basic stuff. Simple moves found in pilates. You can find them on this site on the front pages.

Remember you are not just healing from the surgery. The surgery was to allow your disc to heal itself from whatever is wrong with it. I assume herniation. That will take many months to do. Be safe.
  • Not a good idea. I did chiro for awhile. It didnt do anything, BUT you had surgery. What does your surgeon think?