Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Snow & Ice Storms not helping...

painfree at lastppainfree at last Posts: 239
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
To all my Spiney Friends who live in Snow/Ice Storm States - be safe! I am in the Northeast where we are getting blasted with storm after storm snow, ice, sleet etc - I am feeling trapped in my house and don't want to try to go out and possibly fall and impede my recovery! Have been feeling OK (some good days and some not so good) and want to keep as active as possible but this weather just plain stinks! Really wish I had my injury and surgery in the warm weather time of year :-)
Anyway just needing to vent about the weather and my sheer boredom in my house. Can only walk the treadmill so often... hope everyone else is doing well! Thanks for listening!

• 1 foot of snow in Oklahoma which in turn makes my NS postpone my appt that is supposed to release me to go back to work. But at least I didn't have to get out in it today.
  • ... always move south :-)

Not always predictable, but not as bad as NE.
  • Hi from Michigan...we are awaiting the blizzard. The house is full of groceries, DVD movies, and emergency supplies. We are greatful for being able to stay in, not having jobs requiring us to report.
    I'm gonna be a worry wort for our son having to be out and about for work.
    Next year we're gonna pick up from where we left off before hubby had heart failure...and go out west for the winter (fingers crossed 8> )
  • I'm from Oklahoma also, and we just had 14" of snow from a blizzard. We still can't get out of our driveway and there was only one truck down our street yesterday. This cold weather, minus 10 below zero doesn't help my lumbar back fusion, and it really is hard on all the metal implanted. I had to go back on my Celebrex for awhile because of the pain in the back and Osteoarthritis in both my hands. I'm looking forward for warmer days. I have a brother in Maine, and I think they are having it much worse.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I am from Ohio and so far we have experienced 1 inch of ice. I am lucky that we have power because 75,000 in my area are doing without. They say to stay in and do not go out unless necessary but I have a job physical and orientation this morning and I am scared to death I am going to fall on the ice. Everyone stay warm and stay inside until the storms pass.
  • In New Englad too but I had my 2nd surgery nearly a year ago. With all the snow, I've been impressed with my ability to still get out to go with my husband to walk the dog. But today, not chancing it because it is a sheet of ice out there with very little ability for me to plant my feet safely.

Luckily I have the treadmill too. It stinks but you are doing the right thing staying in. I can tell the day before every front of snow comes through because of my 'weather-back' powers (LOL).

Stay safe and warm.
  • Hi All - we got an inch of ice over night here - amazing to look outside - scary thing is the power lines - we still have power but not sure for how long!! My hubby had to leave for work and waiting to hear from him to make sure he made it .. Have PT today at 2pm ... not sure will be able to go! What an amazing storm.. Thanks to all for your replies - Hope everyone stays safe and don't go out in this mess unless you have too ... Take care!
    PS... Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow so that means Early Spring - Bring it on! Happy GroundHog Day!
  • In Northeast Ohio 3 miles inland from Lake Erie we got freezing rain which is now changing back to snow with 2-4 expected by this afternoon. Very heavy stuff and I was unable to shovel any of it so I will be walking on top of ice covered by snow when I get home today. Our parking lot at work is solid sheet of ice. Very scary to walk over. Also worried that car doors will freeze shut or windows will ice over. I have no strength to scrape ice off car. Hope one of the men is around when I leave today. LOL.
    4 level posterolateral fusion L2-S1 with rods and screws and cadaver bone. Spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, sciatica, DDD, facet disease and arthritis. September 2002
  • and use them on your boots. They actually work even on ice. If you really have to get out.

Today is balmy, partly overcast, 67 degrees, might make 70. Snow fall and ice are at a nice 0 inches.... :lol:" alt=":lol:" height="20" />

One of the Top 10 happiest moments of my life was giving away my SNOW BLOWER to my brother-in-law. Knowing I would never use one again!!! :-)

• Hi All - I spoke too soon this morning - we lost power at about 11am but it did just come back on - thank god. We have electric heat and would have had to go to hotel because of the kids .. house is freezing but warming up! Have to tell you how insane it is to be in a house by yourself without power recovering from surgery -- the silence was deafening! Anyway storm is over - let's wait for the next one - I think possibly one on Saturday ..
    would love to move south selfishly - but could not leave my family - very large and fun and would miss them too much! Talk to you soon! Be safe and stay warm! Mary
  • Glad they ended up getting it back on considering what was going on out there.

Also, be glad that the silence was deafening!!! When our power went out, my neighbor's whole house generator that he installed next to our bedroom windows kicked on. It's maddening.

It's also the same guy that plowed his driveway's snow up to my house's foundation, making 15 inches of snow 4 feet. That'll be good for the basement.

/end rant

• is killing me!! The morning the front came through I woke up at 4 am in horrible excruciating pain, then had to do travel during the brief window flights were going through - then more horrible weather...
  • Hello to all - hoping you faired well thru this last week .. today is supposed to be in the 40's here so exciting. Well what happens with cabin fever - the kids get sick .. one of my twins woke up puking Thurs night - only a few times - no fever was fine by Friday Afternoon. The other twin woke up with low grade fever and rash on face, chest and belly but stomach OK so far! Fingers Crossed! And I think I have Pink Eye - Does anyone know if the same virus can come out in different ways in different people - just hoping the vomitting is over! I have lysoled my whole house several times so we shall see! Need to open the windows and get fresh air in ...
    Anyway take care as we wait for the next storm - here they are saying next accumulating snow storm predicted for Thursday!
    Optimist - hope all went OK with your travels!
    Take Care - Happy Superbowl Sunday if you like football!
  • New front, I was "bedbound" today with 9/10 pain despite max pain meds + 1.
  • I am sorry you were bedbound and in so much pain - been there and know it well! I hope today you are better and wish you a continued road to being pain-free as much as possible!