Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

went to ER ~ this is what he told me

trishawttrishaw Posts: 6
So i went to er since i experience some incontenance on my part along with all my pain 24/7. Without any xrays, mri, or catscan he tells me since my pain is above the knee he dont think its sciatica. But if i remember the video on this site correctly depending on which "L" it is depends on where you are hurting.And it can be above the knee only. So how does he gather this?? Anyway a waste of a visit. Hopefully i can get some assistance through the county to get in to see a dr and go from there.

• ERs are never the best place when it comes to anything related to back...with the exception that it has been ripped out in an accident. ERs always think us chronic back pain people are just there drug seeking. Unless I am experiencing something truly life threatening I stay out of the ER. I'll deal with a pain spike, or urinating on the kitchen floor until I can see my regular doc on Monday. I have found very little compassion in the ER...I'd like to see any of the MDs in the ER survive one day with the pain I experience trapped in my body every day.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I had sciatica that never did go below my knee. I had all my pain in my left butt cheek and the outer part of my left thigh. All my doctors diagnosed me with sciatica so since you are having problems with incontenance I would be calling my family doctor or surgeon. All my doctors have told me that if I have any issues with my bowels to head straight to the emergency room. Place a call to one of your docs just to be on the safe side. Good luck
  • Yea, I knew he was wrong. I called my county and I think I may qualify for some medical assistance. Sounded promising, so..... All my life ive had health coverage. Never needed a dr.. Since my husband got layed off things like being covered havent been the same.. So, Hopefully i get seen soon.
  • can go all the way down the leg to the foot.
    Look at a Dermatome Map.

My sciatic nerve L5/S1 was impinged and I lost feeling in my left butt, perineum (groin area), back thigh to the knee, and then again in the heel to outer toe.

As for ER, they were really helpful to me but I was unable to walk. The pain upon TRYING to stand up had me nearly passing out and that was just trying to stand up (e.g. moving) so when I got to the ER they had to give me drugs to even examine me. Knowing I couldn't go to the bathroom, couldn't sit up, couldn't roll over and if someone tried to roll or move me it would cause severe pain, etc, they did the MRI. But sent me home with meds and directions to the nearest spine doctor that would take me as an urgent patient the next day.

Go seek out a Orthopedic Spine Doctor or Neurosurgeon.
  • And that it is not a big hassle with your current insurance situation. Please keep us posted about your progress.