Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Plif is done

bedawgsbbedawgs Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well im in my room and just got sick as a dog from pain meds,But the pain meds is controling my pain.

• Glad that your surgery is over but not so good that the pain meds made you sick. Have they given you something to help with that?

Hope you'll be feeling a bit better soon.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Yea and got sick again ,that stinks.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Ask for meds to control nausea. There's lots of nice stuff they can give you. Take it easy.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • My gosh it is rough enough to come out of a PLIF, having nausea is not good at all. As a fellow PLIF patient, I will be following your posts to keep up with your progress.
    I am impressed that you posted today...
  • Yea i have a pretty high pain tolerance,i will be getting up to walk,my nurses really are no good,i have let one have it.
  • I get extreme nausea after any anesthetic no matter what anti nausea drugs they give me. I was sick for a month after the surgery. Every time I lifted head from lying down i threw up. It certainly adds a crimp into an already unpleasant recovery. Take care. You might try crackers and ginger ale. Old flu remedy. It helped me a little. Just eat and drink lying down.
    4 level posterolateral fusion L2-S1 with rods and screws and cadaver bone. Spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, sciatica, DDD, facet disease and arthritis. September 2002
  • are coming your way!! You are giving me flashbacks to my time in the hospital after my PLIF - puking, no nurses when you need them:( Hopefully you will soon be home and healing in a better setting!
  • are coming your way!! You are giving me flashbacks to my time in the hospital after my PLIF - puking, no nurses when you need them:( Hopefully you will soon be home and healing in a better setting!
  • Well im getting to go home tomarrow,they are very impressed with me,they cant beleive hoe good im doing,im off pain meds aas of now and im walking pretty good,just alot of soreness but i can handle it.
  • I got very sick from the anesthesia after my 2nd surgery. They tried giving me ginger ale and I couldn't keep it down. Then water, same thing. I couldn't even keep meds down with small sips of water so.

I gave up.

Luckily I was a microdiscectomy.

Anyhow, the tips?
    - I use diet pepsi to settle my stomach (worked for me).
    - The spine medical team guy that kept checking in on me told me to limit my liquids but try to order anything from the cafeteria that I thought I could stomach even if it wasn't healthy. He recommended the vanilla cake, crackers, graham crackers, pretzels. He said just eat small bits to let your stomach have something to absorb.

Having the choice helped me realize the cake was probably the one thing I could try a bite of and it worked. I didn't eat much but at about 3 bites over and hour which was the start of feeling better.

Good luck.