Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cathleenccathleen Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Pain Management
I have a question about what medicine they put in the epiduals that go into the spine for pain. The doctor did not tell me. Is it a steroid? How long will the pain relief last? If I have bad reaction to steroid in pill form will an injection of steroid do the same?

Thank you

• I think it all depends on what the end results need to be, where it is being injected, etc. I was told that the medication was an anti-inflammatory steroid (not cortisone) when they did mine, but there are many different variables to determine which med is being used. I would suggest calling the doctor's office and asking which medicine will be used. The nurse or receptionist could get the answer for you and call you back. I think it would be wise to tell the doctor of your reaction to steroid in pill form.

Good luck with your injection. I hope it helps.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I know that the medication was an anti-inflammatory steroid but there are many different variables to determine which med is being used. It is really very important to know more about this.
  • It depends on your reaction, there are many variables.. but I am of the opinion that if your body reacts negatively to steroids, that it would not matter in what form they enter your body, and your body is still not going to like them because they came in by injection rather than orally. Steroids can be very helpful in some cases. They have their place in medicine, but they can also do damage and are not for everyone.

Research steroids, your condition, the dangers, etc. if you have concerns about these injections, the risks, medications involved in ESIs.
    Your Dr. should have answered any and all questions that you had on this subject, and quite frankly, I'm surprised s/he did not do so. Also, be sure that when getting (if you decide to go through with this) an ESI that the Dr. uses fluroscopy(sp) rather than free hand, to reduce the risk of hitting a nerve or missing the mark with the needle. I'm not trying to scare you, these ESIs are common and usually go without a problem, but there are risks involved that your Dr. should have discussed and made you aware of before you give your consent.

If your ESI is a success, it may work anywhere from 2 weeks to a year. IMO anything less than two weeks is not considered a success. I'm considering the risks, costs, and simply the stress a lot of us go through, and weighing risks vs benefit as my way of answering your question.

My best ESI to date lasted over a year and was in my hip, but I have had numerous injections in my C-spine, none of which I would consider successful.
    Good luck. I hope that you get answers from your Dr. before moving forward, s/he owes you the respect of letting you know everything and answering any questions you may have.
  • I had a series last summer, 3 one week apart in my C-5--C-6 for shoulder, arm, hand & 2 small finger pain. Lately I've been getting pain again in my hand & fingers so it might be coming back again.
    Wait a see.
    3 years ago I had 2 shots for the lumbar that didn't work and ended up with the Micro-disc operation. That procedure worked so so.
    That was my experience.
    C3-4-5 fusion 2005
    C-5-T-1 disk bulged
    L-4-5 bulge to the right, with Microdiscectomy, failed
    L5- Bi-Lateral bulge
    Pain in right foot -loss of feeling
    Left butt, hip and front thigh pain with bad shooting pain into inside ankle sometimes